Rainfall, as one of the key components of hydrological cycle, plays an undeniable role for accurate modelling of other hydrological components. Therefore, a precise forecasting of annual rainfall is of the high importance. In this regard, several studies have been tried to predict annual rainfall of different climate zones using machine learning and soft computing algorithms. This study investigates the application of an innovative hybrid method, namely Multilayer Perceptron-Whale Optimization Algorithm (MLP-WOA) to predict annual rainfall comparatively to the ordinary Multilayer Perceptron models (MLP). The models were developed by using 3-Input variables of annual rainfall at lag1, 2 and 3 corresponding to Pt-1, Pt-2 and Pt-3, respectively of two synoptic stations of Senegal (Fatick and Goudiry) in the time period of 1933–2013. 75% of the dataset were utilized for training and the other 25% for testing the studied models Accurateness of the mentioned models was examined using root mean squared error, correlation coefficient, and KlingGupta efficiency. Results showed that MLP-WOA3 and MLP3 using both Pt-1, Pt-2 and Pt-3 as inputs presented the most accurate forecasting in Fatick and Goudiry stations, respectively. In Fatick station, MLP-WOA3 decreased the RMSE value of MLP3 by 18.3% and increased the R and KGE values by 3.0% and 130%, respectively in testing period. But, in Goudiry station, MLP-WOA3 increased the RMSE value of MLP3 by 3.9% and increased the R and KGE values by 10.2% and 91% in testing period. Therefore, it can be realized that the MLP-WOA3 could not able to reduce the RMSE value of correspondent MLP model in Goudiry station. The conclusive results indicated that MLP-WOA slightly improved the accuracy of correspondent MLP models and may be recommended for annual rainfall forecasting.
Annual precipitation Multilayer perceptron model Whale optimization algorithm Hybrid predictive model
This is a preview of subscription content, log in to check access.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare there is no conflict of interest to any party.
Babovic V (2005) Data mining in hydrology. Hydrological Processes: An International Journal 19(7):1511–1515CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Dhanalakshmi M, Sowmya N, Chandrashekar A (2015) A comparative study on egg shell concrete with partial replacement of cement by fly ash. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology 4:153–1538CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Giustolisi O (2004) Using genetic programming to determine Chezy resistance coefficient in corrugated channels. J Hydroinf 6(3):157–173CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Harris EL, Babovic V, Falconer RA (2003) Velocity predictions in compound channels with vegetated floodplains using genetic programming. International Journal of River Basin Management 1(2):117–123CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Samadianfard S, Ghorbani MA, Mohammadi B (2018) Forecasting soil temperature at multiple-depth with a hybrid artificial neural network model coupled hybrid firefly optimizer algorithm. Information Processing in Agriculture 5:465–476CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Saxena A, Verma N, Tripathi KC (2014) Neuro-genetic hybrid approach for rainfall forecasting. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies 5(2):1291–1295Google Scholar
Shamshirband S, Gocic M, Petkovic D et al (2014) Soft-computing methodologies for precipitation estimation: a case study. IEEE journal of selected topics in applied earth observations and remote sensing:1–6. https://doi.org/10.1109/jstars.2014.2364075
Solgi A, Nourani V, Pourhaghi A (2014) Forecasting daily precipitation using hybrid model of wavelet-artificial neural network and comparison with adaptive neurofuzzy inference system (case study: Verayneh Station, Nahavand). Advances in Civil Engineering 2014:1–12. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/279368CrossRefGoogle Scholar