Fuzzy Multiobjective and Linear Programming Based Management Models for Optimal Land-Water-Crop System Planning
- 726 Downloads
In this article, linear programming and fuzzy optimization models are developed for planning and management of available land-water-crop system of Mahanadi-Kathajodi delta in eastern India. The models are used to optimize the economic return, production and labour utilization, and to search the related cropping patterns and intensities with specified land, water, fertilizer and labour availability, and water use pattern constraints. Due to extreme backwardness of the study area, it has been decided to keep all the three objectives of the linear programming models at the same priority level to obtain the compromised solution in a fuzzy environment that incorporates the imprecision in fuzzy goals and fuzzy constraints. These non-structural models facilitate the conjunctive use of available surface water and groundwater resources. A comparative evaluation along with the benefit-cost ratios of the existing and proposed farming systems is also presented.
Keywordsbenefit-cost ratio conjunctive use fuzzy optimization linear programming Mahanadi-Kathajodi delta optimal planning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen, R., Pereira, L. S., Raes, D., and Smith, M., 1998, ‘Crop evaporation: Guidelines for computing crop requirements’, FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper 56, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy, 135 pp.Google Scholar
- DAFP, 1997, The Agriculture Guide Book, Government of Orissa, India.Google Scholar
- Doorenbos, J. and Kassam, A. H., 1979, Yield Response to Water, FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper 33, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy.Google Scholar
- Doorenbos, J., and Pruitt, W. O., 1977, ‘Crop water requirements’, FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper 24, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy.Google Scholar
- LINDO, 1991, LINDO/PC version 5.0, LINDO Systems Inc. Chicago, USA.Google Scholar
- Majumdar, P. P., 2002, ‘Mathematical tools for irrigation water management: An overview’, Water International Publisher, International Water Resources Association.Google Scholar
- Mohapatra, L. K., 1994, ‘Repot on design of deep filter-point tube wells in Orissa delta’, Lift Irrigation Corporation, Government of Orissa, India.Google Scholar
- USDA-SCS, 1972, ‘Hydrology’, National Engineering Handbook, Sec. 4. U. S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar