Treatment of Stormwater using Fibre Filter Media
- 65 Downloads
In this study, a high-rate fibre filter was used as a pre-treatment to stormwater in conjunction with in-line flocculation. The effect of operating the fibre filter with different packing densities (105, 115 and 125 kg/m3) and filtration velocities (20, 40, 60 m/h) with and without in-line flocculation was investigated. In-line flocculation was provided using 5, 10 and 15 mg/L of ferric chloride (FeCl3·6H2O). The filter performance was studied in terms of pressure drop (ΔP), solids removal efficiency, heavy metals (total) removal efficiency and total organic carbon (TOC) removal efficiency. It is found that the use of in-line flocculation at a dose of 15 mg/L improved the performance of fibre filter as measured by turbidity removal (95%), total suspended solids reduction (98%), colour removal efficiency (99%), TOC removal (reduced by 30–40 %) and total coliform removal (93%). The modified fouling index reduced from 750–950 to 12 s/L2 proving that fibre filter can be an excellent pre-treatment to membrane filtration that may be consider as post-treatment. The removal efficiency of heavy metal was variable as their concentration in raw water was small. Even though the concentration of some of these metals such as iron, aluminium, copper and zinc were reduced, others like nickel, chromium and cadmium showed lower removal rates.
KeywordsStormwater Fibre filter In-line flocculation MFI
This work was funded by Australian Research Council Linkage Research Grant (LP0883485).
- BenAim, R. et al. (2004) World Filtration Congress. New-Orleans, USA.Google Scholar
- Cha, J. H., Lee J. J., BenAim, R., Han, K. B., Kim, C. W. (2009). Water Supply: Aqua, 58(2), 153–157.Google Scholar
- Eaton, A. D., Clesceri, L. S., Rice, E. W., and Greenberg, A. E. (2005) Published jointly by: American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association, Water Environment Federation, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Jeanmaire, J. P., Suty, H., Marteil, P., Breant, P., & Pedenaud, P. (2007). Water Science and Technology, IWA Publishing, 56, 157–165.Google Scholar
- Lee, J. J., Im, J. H., BenAim, R., Kim, J. R., Kim, Y. J., Poo, K. M., et al. (2006b). Water Science and Technology, IWA Publishing, 53, 59–66.Google Scholar