A Case Study of Simulation and Performance Evaluationof a SDR Baseband Architecture
- First Online:
- 293 Downloads
Application of Software Defined Radio (SDR) principles to mobile devices faces numerous opposing constraints including low power, low cost, and high performance. This situation motivates the definition of advanced methods, models, and tools in order to maintain the design complexity of terminal architectures. In this context, architects of next generation radio communication systems aim at designing SDR baseband architectures able to support a wide variety of communication interfaces with a wide range of processing resources and that fully meet expected requirements. As a result, it is mandatory to efficiently assist system architects in the process of evaluating performances of potential architectures and in exploration of the design space. In this paper, we present a case study representative of next generation radio communication systems and we describe its modeling and evaluation of performances of the related architecture. The case study corresponds to an adaptive multi-standard and multi-application radio communication system. Performance evaluation is performed following a simulation-based approach. Modeling techniques are proposed to facilitate estimation of expected resources according to complex use case scenarios and to allow achieving a good compromise between simulation speed of architecture models and accuracy of provided estimations. The presented results concern the evolution over time of the architecture and the observation of resource usage taking into account dynamic changes of the system environment.
KeywordsSoftware defined radio Performance evaluation Architecture modeling and simulation
- 1.CoFluent Design (2012). http://www.cofluentdesign.com.
- 2.3GPP (2002). Technical specification group, 25 series: Radio aspects technical specification (release 8).Google Scholar
- 3.3GPP (2002). Ts 125.201, umts physical layer-general description. http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/2501.htm.
- 5.Barreteau, A., Le Nours, S., Pasquier, O. (2012). A simulation-based approach for performance evaluation of SDR baseband architectures. In Wireless innovation forum european conference on communications technologies and software defined radio (SDR’12-WInnComm-Europe).Google Scholar
- 6.Barreteau, A., Le Nours, S., Pasquier, O. (2012). A state-based modeling approach for efficient performance evaluation of embedded system architectures at transaction level. Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2012, 16, article ID 537327.Google Scholar
- 7.van Berkel, K. (2009). Multi-core for mobile phones. In Design, automation and test, in Europe (DATE’09).Google Scholar
- 8.Calvez, J.P. (1993). Embedded real-time systems: a specification and design methodology. Wiley: New York.Google Scholar
- 9.Davare, A., Densmore, D., Meyerowitz, T., Pinto, A., Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, A., Yang, G., Zeng, H., Zhu, Q. (2007). A next-generation design framework for platform-based design. In Conference on using hardware design and verification languages (DVCon).Google Scholar
- 10.Densmore, D., Simalatsar, A., Davare, A., Passerone, R., Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, A. (2009). UMTS MPSoC design evaluation using a system level design framework. In Design, automation and test, in Europe (DATE’09).Google Scholar
- 12.Gailliard, G., Nicollet, E., Sarlotte, M., Verdier, F. (2007). Transaction level modeling of SCA compliant software defined radio waveforms and platforms PIM/SIM. In Design, automation and test, in Europe (DATE’07).Google Scholar
- 13.Govil, J. (2007). 4G Mobile communication systems: turns, trends, and transition. In International conference on convergence information technology (ICCIT’07).Google Scholar
- 14.Gries, M. (2004). Methods for evaluating and covering the design space during early design development. Integration, the VLSI Journal, 38(2), 131–183.Google Scholar
- 15.IEEE (2007). Ieee 802.11-2007, ieee standard for information technology - telecommunications and information exchange between systems-local and metropolitan area networks-specific requirements. Part 11: Wireless lan medium access control (mac) and physical layer (phy) specifications, technical specification.Google Scholar
- 16.IST (2007). End to end reconfigurability, ist project summary.Google Scholar
- 17.Kreku, J., Hoppari, M., Kestila, T., Soininen, J., Andersson, P., Tiensyrja, K. (2008). Combining UML2 application and SystemC platform modelling for performance evaluation of real-time embedded systems. EURASIP Journal on Embedded Systems 2008, 18, article ID 712329.Google Scholar
- 18.Kronlöf, K., Kontinen, S., Oliver, I., Eriksson, T. (2006). A method for mobile terminal platform architecture development. In Proceedings of the forum on specification and design languages (FDL’06).Google Scholar
- 20.Mitola, III, J. (2000). Cognitive radio: an integrated agent architecture for software defined radio. PhD thesis: Royal Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- 21.Trautmann, Ma. (2009). Simulation framework for early phase exploration of SDR platforms: a case study of platform dimensionning. In Design, automation and test, in Europe (DATE’09).Google Scholar