Quasi-Static Scheduling of CAL Actor Networks for Reconfigurable Video Coding
- 210 Downloads
The upcoming Reconfigurable Video Coding (RVC) standard from MPEG (ISO / IEC SC29WG11) defines a library of coding tools to specify existing or new compressed video formats and decoders. The coding tool library has been written in a dataflow/actor-oriented language named CAL. Each coding tool (actor) can be represented with an extended finite state machine and the data communication between the tools are described as dataflow graphs. This paper proposes an approach to model the CAL actor network with Parameterized Synchronous Data Flow and to derive a quasi-static multiprocessor execution schedule for the system. In addition to proposing a scheduling approach for RVC, an extension to the well-known permutation flow shop scheduling problem that enables rapid run-time scheduling of RVC tasks, is introduced.
KeywordsScheduling Parallel processing Digital signal processors Modeling
This research has been partially funded by the Nokia Foundation, Finnish Graduate School for Electronics, Telecommunication and Automation, and the Tekes project ECUUS. The authors would like to thank the reviewers for comments that helped improving this article.
- 1.Lucarz, C., Mattavelli, M., Thomas-Kerr, J., & Janneck, J. W. (2007). Reconfigurable media coding: A new specification model for multimedia coders. In IEEE workshop on signal processing systems (pp. 481–486). Shanghai, China.Google Scholar
- 2.Eker, J., & Janneck, J. W. (2003). CAL language report. UC Berkeley, Tech. Rep. UCB/ERL M03/48.Google Scholar
- 4.Lucarz, C., Mattavelli, M., Wipliez, M., Roquier, G., Raulet, M., Janneck, J. W., et al. (2008). Dataflow/actor-oriented language for the design of complex signal processing systems. In Conference on design and architectures for signal and image processing (pp. 168–175). Bruxelles, Belgium.Google Scholar
- 6.Thiele, L., Strehl, K., Ziegenbein, D., Ernst, R., & Teich, J. (1999). Funstate—an internal design representation for codesign. In IEEE/ACM international conference on Computer-aided design (pp. 558–565). San Jose, California, USA.Google Scholar
- 7.Buck, J., & Vaidyanathan, R. (2000). Heterogeneous modeling and simulation of embedded systems in El Greco. In Eighth international workshop on hardware/software codesign (pp. 142–146). San Diego, California, USA.Google Scholar
- 9.Henniger, O., & Neumann, P. (1995). Test case generation based on formal specifications in Estelle. In IEEE international workshop on factory communication systems (pp.135–141). Leysin, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- 11.Boutellier, J., Sadhanala, V., Lucarz, C., Brisk, P., & Mattavelli, M. (2008). Scheduling of dataflow models within the reconfigurable video coding framework. In IEEE workshop on signal processing systems (pp. 182–187). Washington D.C., USA.Google Scholar
- 12.von Platen, C., & Eker, J. (2008). Efficient realization of a CAL video decoder on a mobile terminal. In IEEE workshop on signal processing systems (pp. 176–181). Washington D.C., USA.Google Scholar
- 13.Gu, R., Janneck, J. W., Raulet, M., & Bhattacharyya, S. S. (2009). Exploiting statically schedulable regions in dataflow programs. In IEEE international conference on acoustics, speech and signal processing. Taipei, Taiwan.Google Scholar
- 14.sourceforge.net (2009). Open Dataflow Sourceforge project. http://opendf.sourceforge.net/.
- 15.Janneck, J., Miller, I., Parlour, D., Roquier, G., Wipliez, M., & Raulet, M. (2008). Synthesizing hardware from dataflow programs: An MPEG-4 simple profile decoder case study. In IEEE workshop on signal processing systems (pp. 287–292).Google Scholar
- 16.Wipliez, M., Roquier, G., Raulet, M., Nezan, J.-F., & Deforges, O. (2008). Code generation for the MPEG reconfigurable video coding framework: From CAL actions to C functions. In IEEE international conference on multimedia and expo (pp. 1049–1052). Hannover, Germany.Google Scholar
- 17.Bhattacharya, B., & Bhattacharyya, S. S. (1999). Parameterized modeling and scheduling of dataflow graphs. Institute for advanced computer studies, University of Maryland at College Park, Tech. Rep. UMIACS-TR-99-73, December 1999, also Computer Science Technical Report CS-TR-4083.Google Scholar
- 18.Ko, D.-I., & Bhattacharyya, S. S. (2005). Dynamic configuration of dataflow graph topology for DSP system design. In IEEE international conference on acoustics, speech, and signal processing (Vol. 5, pp. 69–72).Google Scholar
- 19.Sriram, S., & Bhattacharyya, S. S. (2000). Embedded multiprocessors: Scheduling and synchronization. New York: Marcel Dekker.Google Scholar
- 22.sourceforge.net (2009). JGraph Sourceforge project. http://sourceforge.net/projects/jgraph.
- 23.sourceforge.net (2009). SDF4J Sourceforge project. http://sourceforge.net/projects/sdf4j.