Adaptive Pixel Interpolation for Spatial Error Concealment
- 150 Downloads
Error concealment techniques are widely used as efficient ways to recover the lost information at the decoder. This paper proposes an adaptive pixel interpolation technique for spatial error concealment in the block based coding system. For a missing pixel in a corrupted block, its value is derived from four neighborhoods of the block through interpolation using multiple prediction strategy. The weighting rules of these four neighborhood blocks are carefully designed with regard to three factors, the distance to the missing pixels within the given corrupted block, the percentage of uncorrupted pixels, and the similarity to the given corrupted block. The proposed method works effectively in consecutive block loss situation, which is common in real applications of video transmission. Experimental results show the proposed technique gains more accurate recovery of the missing pixels than the existing schemes.
KeywordsError concealment Block based coding Pixel interpolation
This work was supported in part by National Natural Science Foundation of China (60702044,60625103, 60632040) , and Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education of China (200802481006).
- 2.Aign, S., & Fazel, K. (1995). Temporal and spatial error concealment techniques for hierarchical mpeg-2 video codec. In Proc. IEEE int. conf. communication, ICC, June 3, 1778–1783.Google Scholar
- 4.Salama, P., Shroff, N. B., Coyle, E. J., & Delp, E. J. (1995). Error concealment techniques for encoded video streams. In Proc. Int. Conf. Image Processing, Oct. 1, 9–12.Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, Y., & Zhu, Q. (1991). Signal loss recovery in DCT-based image and video codecs, In Proc. SPIE Conf. Visual Communication and Image Processing, Nov 1605, 667–678.Google Scholar
- 9.Gao, Y., Wang, J., Liu, Y. Q., Yang, X. K., & Wang, J. (2007). Spatial error concealment technique using verge points, In Proc. IEEE int. conf. Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, ICASSP, April. 1, 725–728.Google Scholar
- 10.Sirikam, A., & Kumwilaikak, W. (2007). New spatial error concealment using dynamic texture estimation and geometric interpolation, In Proc. IEEE int. conf. Multimedia and Expo, ICME, July. (pp. 120–123).Google Scholar
- 11.Gharavi, H., & Gao, S. (2008). Spatial interpolation algorithm for error concealment, In Proc. IEEE int. conf. Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, ICASSP, March–April. 1153–1156.Google Scholar
- 19.Kumwilaisak, W., & Hartung, F. (2004). An intraframe error concealment: nonlinear pattern alignment and directional interpolation, In Proc. IEEE int. conf. Image Processing, ICIP, Oct. 2, 825–828.Google Scholar