High-Speed and Low-Power IP for Embedded Block Coding with Optimized Truncation (EBCOT) Sub-Block in JPEG2000 System Implementation
- 62 Downloads
In this paper we propose novel high-speed and low-power architecture for the context formation sub-block in tier-1 block of JPEG2000 system. The proposed architecture is inspired from the statistical analysis results on 20 test images, each one 512*512 pixels, gray scale with 8 bit pixels. The proposed architecture incorporates a check unit to detect unnecessary operations in both pass1 and pass2 of the EBCOT block. For code block size of 64*64 bits, the timing and power consumption analysis show that the proposed architecture reduces the power consumption about 20.64% and increases the processing speed to about 33.67% with respect to the speedy reference architecture. The proposed architecture has a processing speed close to the parallel mode architectures with almost the same area for serial mode architectures and more power saving. The proposed architecture gathers the basic advantages of the serial and parallel mode implementations in addition to lower power consumption.
KeywordsDiscrete Wavelet Transform Data Path Very Large Scale Integration Context Formation Reference Architecture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K.-F. Chen, C.-Jr Lian, and H.-H. Chen, and L.-G. Chen, “Analysis and Architecture Design of EBCOT for JPEG-2000,” In Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Integrated Circuits, Devices and Systems (ISIC-2001), Singapore, 2001, pp. 497–500.Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Li, R.E. Aly, B. Wilson, and M.A. Bayoumi, “Analysis and Enhancement for EBCOT in High speed JPEG2000 Architectures,” MWSCAS 2002, Ok, July-2002.Google Scholar
- 3.C. Christopoulos, et. al., “JPEG-2000 Verification Model 7.0 (Technical Description),” ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 1 N 1684, Apr 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Chiang, Y. Lin, and C. Hsieh, “Efficient Pass-Parallel Architecture for EBOCT in JPEG2000,” IEEE ISCAS-2002.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Chai and A. Bouzerdoum, “JPEG2000 image compression: an overview,” Seventh Australian Intelligent Information Systems Conference, 2001, pp. 237–241.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Shams, T. Darwish and M.A. Bayoumi, “Performance Analysis of 1 bit Cmos Full Adder Cell,” IEEE Trans. on VLSI, Feb. 2002.Google Scholar
- 7.David Taubman, “High Performance Scalable Image Compression with EBCOT,” Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Kobe, Japan, 1999, vol.3. pp. 344–348Google Scholar
- 8.D. Taubman, “EBCOT: Embedded Block Coding with Optimized Truncation,” ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG1 N1020R.Google Scholar
- 9.JPEG2000 Final Committee Draft (FCD) (http://www.jpeg.org/JPEG2000.htm).
- 10.M. Rabbani and R. Joshi, “An Overview of the JPEG 2000 still image compressing standard,” Signal Processing: Image Communication 17, 2002, pp. 3–48.Google Scholar
- 11.J. Rabaey et al., “Digital Integrated Circuits: A Design Perspective,” 2nd edition, Prentice-Hall 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.Y. Li, R.E. Aly, M.A. Bayoumi, and S. Mashali, “Parallel High-Speed Architecture for EBCOT in JPEG2000,” IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 2, 2003, pp. 481–484.Google Scholar