An Exact Robust Method to Localize a Known Sphere by Means of One Image
In this article we provide a very robust algorithm to compute the position of the center of a sphere with known radius from one image by a calibrated camera. To our knowledge it is the first time that an exact sphere localization formula is published that only uses the (pixel) area and the ellipse center of the sphere image. Other authors either derived an approximation formula or followed the less robust and more time consuming procedure of fitting an ellipse through the detected edge pixels. Our method is analytic and deterministic, making use of the unique positive real tool of a cubic equation. We observe that the proposed area method is significantly more accurate and precise than an ellipse fitting method. Furthermore, we investigate in what conditions for sphere images the proposed exact method is preferable to the robust approximation method. These observations are validated by virtual, synthetic and real experiments.
KeywordsExtrinsic calibration Robust localization Projective geometry
- Agrawal, M., & Davis, L. S. (2003). Camera calibration using spheres: A semi-definite programming approach. In: IEEE international conference on computer vision (pp. 782–789).Google Scholar
- Beardsley, P., Murray, D., & Zisserman, A. (1992). Camera calibration using multiple images. In Proceedings of the second European conference on computer vision, ECCV (pp. 312–320).Google Scholar
- Dandelin, G. P. (1822). Mémoire sur quelques propriétés remarquables de la focale parabolique. Nouveaux mémoires de l’Académie Royale des Sciences et Belles-Lettres de Bruxelles T, II, 171–202.Google Scholar
- Daucher, D., Dhome, M., & Lapreste, J. (1994). Camera calibration from spheres images. In Proceedings European conference computer vision (pp. 449–454).Google Scholar
- Fitzgibbon, A., Pilu, M., & Fisher, R. (1996). Direct least-square fitting of ellipses. In Proceedings international conference on pattern recognition (pp. 253–257).Google Scholar
- Maxon. (2009). Cinema 4D. https://www.maxon.net/en-us/products/cinema-4d/overview/.
- Teramoto, H., & Xu, G. (2002). Camera calibration by a single image of balls: From conics to the absolute conic. In Asian conference on computer vision (pp. 499–506).Google Scholar
- Xie, S., & Tu, Z. (2015). Holistically-nested edge detection. CoRR. abs/1504.06375. http://arxiv.org/abs/1504.06375.
- Xie, Y., & Ji, Q. (2002). A new efficient ellipse detection method. In International conference on pattern recognition (pp. 957–960).Google Scholar