Architectural Modeling from Sparsely Scanned Range Data
- 396 Downloads
We present a pipeline to reconstruct complete geometry of architectural buildings from point clouds obtained by sparse range laser scanning. Due to limited accessibility of outdoor environments, complete and sufficient scanning of every face of an architectural building is often impossible. Our pipeline deals with architectures that are made of planar faces and faithfully constructs a polyhedron of low complexity based on the incomplete scans. The pipeline first recognizes planar regions based on point clouds, then proceeds to compute plane intersections and corners (in this paper, we use the informal terms corner or vertex corner to stand for a polyhedron vertex. See the Overview section for notation declarations), and finally produces a complete polyhedron. Within the pipeline, several algorithms based on the polyhedron geometry assumption are designed to perform data clustering, boundary detection, and face extraction. Our system offers a convenient user interface but minimizes the necessity of user intervention. We demonstrate the capability and advantage of our system by modeling real-life buildings.
Keywords3D scanning Range image Geometry reconstruction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Debevec, P. E., Taylor, C. J., & Malik, J. (1996). In Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 96. Google Scholar
- Fisher, R. (2003). In Proceedings of 4th international conference on 3D digital imaging and modelling. Google Scholar
- Levoy, M., Pulli, K., Curless, B., Rusinkiewicz, S., Koller, D., Pereira, L., Ginzton, M., Anderson, S., Davis, J., Ginsberg, J., Shade, J., & Fulk, D. (2000). In Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 00. Google Scholar
- Pauly, M., Mitra, N. J., Giesen, J., Gross, M., & Guibas, L. J. (2005). In Eurographics symposium on geometry processing, July 2005. Google Scholar
- Podolak, J., & Rusinkiewicz, S. (2005). In Eurographics symposium on geometry processing, July 2005. Google Scholar
- Shum, H.-Y., Han, M., & Szeliski, R. (1998). In Proceedings of CVPR 98. Google Scholar
- Xu, H., & Chen, B. (2004). In Proceedings of the 3rd international symposium on non-photorealistic animation and rendering. Google Scholar
- Ziou, D., & Tabbone, S. (1998). Edge detection techniques— an overview. International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis, 8, 537–559. Google Scholar