FLIRT with Rigidity—Image Registration with a Local Non-rigidity Penalty
- 309 Downloads
Registration is a technique nowadays commonly used in medical imaging. A drawback of most of the current registration schemes is that all tissue is being considered as non-rigid (Staring et al., Proceedings of the SPIE 2006, vol. 6144, pp. 1–10, 2006). Therefore, rigid objects in an image, such as bony structures or surgical instruments, may be transformed non-rigidly. In this paper, we integrate the concept of local rigidity to the FLexible Image Registration Toolbox (FLIRT) (Haber and Modersitzki, in SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 27(5):1594–1607, 2006; Modersitzki, Numerical Methods for Image Registration, 2004). The idea is to add a penalty for local non-rigidity to the cost function and thus to penalize non-rigid transformations of rigid objects. As our examples show, the new approach allows the maintenance of local rigidity in the desired fashion. For example, the new scheme can keep bony structures rigid during registration.
We show, how the concept of local rigidity can be integrated in the FLIRT approach and present the variational backbone, a proper discretization, and a multilevel optimization scheme. We compare the FLIRT approach to the B-spline approach. As expected from the more general setting of the FLIRT approach, our examples demonstrate that the FLIRT results are superior: much smoother, smaller deformations, visually much more pleasing.
KeywordsImage processing Image registration Warping Fusion Rigidity constraints Variational techniques Constrained optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Collignon, A., Vandermeulen, A., Suetens, P., & Marchal, G. (1995). 3d multi-modality medical image registration based on information theory. In Computational Imaging and Vision (Vol. 3, pp. 263–274). Google Scholar
- Fischer, B., & Modersitzki, J. (2003a). Combination of automatic non-rigid and landmark based registration: the best of both worlds. In M. Sonka & J. M. Fitzpatrick (Eds.), Proceedings of the SPIE: Vol. 5032. Medical imaging 2003: Image processing (pp. 1037–1048). Google Scholar
- Fischer, B., & Modersitzki, J. (2003c). FLIRT: a flexible image registration toolbox. In J. C. Gee, J. B. A. Maintz, & M. W. Vannier (Eds.), Lecture notes in computer science : Vol. 2717. 2nd international workshop on biomedical image registration 2003 (pp. 261–270). Berlin: Springer. Google Scholar
- Fitzpatrick, J. M., Hill, D. L. G., & Maurer Jr., C. R. (2000). Image registration. In M. Sonka, & J. M. Fitzpatrick (Eds.), Handbook of medical imaging: Vol. 2. Medical image processing and analysis (pp. 447–513). Bellingham: SPIE. Google Scholar
- Haber, E., & Modersitzki, J. (2006b). Image registration with a guaranteed displacement regularity. International Journal of Computer Vision, 1 DOI: 10.1007/s11263-006-8984-4
- Hajnal, J., Hawkes, D., & Hill, D. (2001). Medical image registration. Boca Raton: CRC Press. Google Scholar
- Kabus, S., Franz, A., & Fischer, B. (2006). Variational image registration with local properties. In F. A. Gerritsen, J. P. W. Pluim, & B. Likar (Eds.), Lecture notes in computer science. Third international workshop, WBIR 2006: Biomedical image registration (pp. 92–100). Berlin: Springer. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Loeckx, D., Maes, F., Vandermeulen, D., & Suetens, P. (2004). Nonrigid image registration using free-form deformations with a local rigidity constraint. In Lecture notes in computer science: Vol. 3216. MICCAI (pp. 639–646). Google Scholar
- MathWorks (1992). Matlab user’s guide. Natick. Google Scholar
- Modersitzki, J. (2007). Image registration with local rigidity constraints. In H. Handels, H. P. Meinzer, A. Horsch, T. M. Deserno, & T. Tolxdoff (Eds.), Informatik Aktuell: Bildverarbeitung für die Medizin (pp. 444–448). Berlin: Springer. Google Scholar
- Pluim, J. P. W., Maintz, J. B. A., & Viergever, M. A. (2000). Image registration by maximization of combined mutual information and gradient information. IEEE TMI, 19(8), 809–814. Google Scholar
- Staring, M., Klein, S., & Pluim, J. P. W. (2006). Nonrigid registration using a rigidity constraint. In J. M. Reihnardt, & J. P. W. Pluim (Eds.), Proceedings of the SPIE 2006: Medical imaging, 2006 (Vol. 6144, pp. 1–10). Boca Raton: SPIE. Google Scholar
- Yoo, T. S. (2004). Insight into images: Principles and practice for segmentation, registration, and image analysis. AK Peters Ltd. Google Scholar