Phylogenetic analysis of Newcastle disease viruses isolated from commercial poultry in Mozambique (2011–2016)
- 244 Downloads
The complete sequence of the fusion (F) protein gene from 11 Newcastle disease viruses (NDVs) isolated from commercial poultry in Mozambique between 2011 and 2016 has been generated. The F gene cleavage site motif for all 11 isolates was 112RRRKRF117 indicating that the viruses are virulent. A phylogenetic analysis using the full F gene sequence revealed that the viruses clustered within genotype VIIh and showed a higher similarity to NDVs from South Africa, China and Southeast Asia than to viruses previously described in Mozambique in 1994, 1995 and 2005. The identification of these new NDVs has important implications for Newcastle disease management and control in Mozambique.
KeywordsNewcastle disease Genotype VIIh Phylogenetic analysis Poultry Mozambique
The work was supported through funding from the IAEA Peaceful Uses Initiative (PUI), African Renaissance project (ARF) funded by the Republic of South Africa and IAEA Technical Cooperation project MOZ5005.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
This article does not contain studies with animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.D.J. Alexander, Rev. Sci. Technol. 19, 443–462 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.R.S. de Almeida, S. Hammoumi, P. Gil, F.-X. Briand, S. Molia, N. Gaidet, J. Cappelle, V. Chevalier, G. Balança, A. Traoré, C. Grillet, O.F. Maminiaina, S. Guendouz, M. Dakouo, K. Samaké, O. El Mamy Bezied, A. Diarra, H. Chaka, F. Goutard, P. Thompson, D. Martinez, V. Jestin, E. Albina, PLoS One 8, e76413 (2013)CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.F.G. Valadão, Vet. J. 12, 47–73 (1950)Google Scholar
- 11.Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO). FAO Animal Production and Health Livestock Country Reviews. No. 5 (2013). www.fao.org/3/a-i3487e.pdf. Accessed 6 June 2016
- 12.A. Garcês, Poultry production in Southern Africa, 1st edn. (Imprensa da Universidade Eduardo Mondlane, Maputo, 2008), pp. 34–36Google Scholar
- 15.OIE (2008) Newcastle Disease in World Organisation for Animal Health Manual of Diagnsotic Tests and Vaccines for Terrestrial Animals 6th edn., Chapter 2.3.14 (OIE, Paris, 2008), pp. 576–589Google Scholar
- 18.T. Van den Berg, Rev. Sci. Technol. 28, 93–111 (2009)Google Scholar