Complete genomic sequence and phylogenetic relatedness of hepatitis B virus isolates in Cambodia
- 181 Downloads
Although it is known that Cambodia is one of the high endemic area of hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection, molecular characterization of HBV circulating in this country has not been reported. In this study, pre-S gene of HBV from 12 Cambodian patients was sequenced. Phylogenetic analysis based on the pre-S gene sequence revealed that 8 out of 12 isolates (66.7%) belonged to HBV/C1 and remaining four (33.3%) were HBV/B4. Furthermore, complete genomic sequences were also determined for three Cambodian HBV isolates. They all comprised of 3,215 bp long and two of them belonged to subgenotype B4, which had recombination event with genotype C in the precore/core gene confirmed by SimPlot and BootScanning analyses. Our results showed that both HBV strains belonged to subgenotypes B4 and C1, which are circulating in this country. This is the first report on molecular characterization of the HBV prevalent in Cambodia.
KeywordsHepatitis B virus (HBV) HBV genome HBV genotypes HBV Asian strain Cambodia
We thank Dr. Stephan Schaefer, Department of Virology, Institute for Medical Microbiology, Virology and Hygiene, Rostock University, Rostock, Germany, for kindly providing the sequence information of HBV/C5, and Dr. Tetsutaro Sata, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Japan, for his continuous encouragement during this study. This study was supported in part by grants-in-aid for Science Research of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan and the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare of Japan.