Coll2-1, Coll2-1NO2 and myeloperoxidase concentrations in the synovial fluid of equine tarsocrural joints affected with osteochondrosis
The measurement of biomarkers that reflect cartilage breakdown is a powerful tool for investigating joint damage caused by disease or injury. Particularly in cases of osteochondrosis, synovial concentrations of these biomarkers may reveal the presence of osteoarthritic changes. Coll2-1, Coll2-1 NO2 and myeloperoxidase have recently been introduced in equine osteoarticular research but comparison between the concentrations of these markers in OCD affected and healthy joints has not been made. Therefore, this study aimed at reporting the synovial concentrations of these biomarkers in joints affected with osteochondral fragments in the tarsocrural joint compared to unaffected joints. Myeloperoxidase and Coll2-1NO2 revealed to have similar levels between affected joints and controls. However, in contrast to previous studies using C2C the present study demonstrated that synovial levels of Coll2-1 were significantly elevated in tarsocrural joints affected with osteochondrosis. Thus, Coll2-1 may be an earlier marker of cartilage degeneration than other cartilage degradation markers that have been previously used in equine medicine.
KeywordsHorse Biomarkers Osteochondrosis Coll2-1 MPO Collagen degradation
The authors would like to acknowledge Mireille Weber for her assistance in processing the samples.
- Baldus S, Eiserich JP, Brennan ML, Jackson RM, Alexander CB, Freeman BA (2002) Spatial mapping of pulmonary and vascular nitrotyrosine reveals the pivotal role of myeloperoxidase as a catalyst for tyrosine nitration in inflammatory diseases. Free Radic Biol Med 33(7):1010–1019PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Beckman JS, Koppenol WH (1996) Nitric oxide, superoxide, and peroxynitrite: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 40(5):C1424–C1437Google Scholar
- Brennan ML, Wu WJ, Fu XM, Shen ZZ, Song W, Frost H, Vadseth C, Narine L, Lenkiewicz E, Borchers MT, Lusis AJ, Lee JJ, Lee NA, Abu-Soud HM, Ischiropoulos H, Hazen SL (2002) A tale of two controversies - defining both the role of peroxidases in nitrotyrosine formation in vivo using eosinophil peroxidase and myeloperoxidase-deficient mice, and the nature of peroxidase-generated reactive nitrogen species. J Biol Chem 277(20):17415–17427PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Deberg M, Labasse A, Christgau S, Cloos P, Henriksen DB, Chapelle JP, Zegels B, Reginster JY, Henrotin Y (2005a) New serum biochemical markers (Coll 2-1 and Coll 2-1 NO2) for studying oxidative-related type II collagen network degradation in patients with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthr Cartil 13(3):258–265PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Enzerink E, Dik KJ, Knaap JH, Van Weeren PR (2000) Radiographic development of osteochondral lesions in the hock and stifle in a group of Dutch Warmblood horses from 1-24 months of age. Paper presented at the 39th annual congres BEVA, Birmingham, England, 13-16 September 2000Google Scholar
- Franck T, Grulke S, Deby-Dupont G, Deby C, Duvivier H, Peters F, Serteyn D, (2005) Development of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for specific equine neutrophil myeloperoxidase measurement in blood. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 17:412–419Google Scholar
- Gangl M, Serteyn D, Lejeun JP, Schneider N, Grulke S, Peters F, Vila T, Deby-Dupont G, Deberg M, Henrotin Y (2007) A type II-collagen derived peptide and its nitrated form as new markers of inflammation and cartilage degradation in equine osteochondral lesions. Res Vet Sci 82(1):68–75PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Grulke S, Benbarek H, Caudron I, Deby-Dupont G, Mathy-Hartert M, Farnir F, Deby C, Lamy M, Serteyn D (1999) Plasma myeloperoxidase level and polymorphonuclear leukocyte activation in horses suffering from large intestinal obstruction requiring surgery: preliminary results. Can J Vet Res 63(2):142–147PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lejeune JP, Serteyn D, Gangl M, Schneider N, Deby-Dupont G, Deberg M, Henrotin Y (2007) Plasma concentrations of a type II collagen-derived peptide and its nitrated form in growing ardenner sound horses and in horses suffering from juvenile digital degenerative osteoarthropathy. Vet Res Commun 31(5):591–601PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Serteyn D, Grulke S, Franck T, Mouithys-Mickalad A, Deby-Dupont G (2003) Neutrophile myeloperoxidase, protective enzyme with strong oxidative activities. Ann Med Vet 147(2):79–93Google Scholar
- Spellmeyer K (2003) Myeloperoxidase-Aktivität im Serum und in der Synovia bei Hunden mit Osteoarthritis Eine prospektive Studie. Doctoral Thesis, Freie Universität Berlin, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Verwilghen D, Busoni V, Gangl M, Franck T, Lejeune JP, Vanderheyden L, Detilleux J, Grulke S, Deberg M, Henrotin Y, Serteyn D (2009) Relationship between biochemical markers and radiographic scores in the evaluation of the osteoarticular status of Warmblood stallions. Res Vet Sci 87(2):319–328PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar