A distinctive translocation carcinoma of the kidney [“rosette-like forming,” t(6;11), HMB45-positive renal tumor]
- 94 Downloads
Recently, a novel renal carcinoma with specific clinical and histological characteristics and translocation t(6;11)(p21.1;q12 or q13) has been identified. We have found 11 cases in the literature, and we are adding another 3 cases.
Materials and methods
Three cases were found in the Plzeň pathological register with approximately 15,000 cases of kidney tumors. There were two females and 1 male, aged 22, 24, and 39 years.
The sizes of the tumors were 40, 136, and 10 mm. Two tumors were found incidentally; the biggest one was self-palpated by a 24-year-old pregnant patient. Patients are without any signs of disease 42, 20, and 17 months after surgery.
This tumor is a distinctive and rare translocation carcinoma of the kidney [t(6;11), HMB45 positive]. All cases with known clinical data arose in younger people. The malignant potential is probably low.
KeywordsKidney neoplasm Translocation carcinoma Immunohistochemistry Translocation t(6;11) Nephrectomy Gravidity
- 1.Argani P, Ladanyi M (2004) Renal carcinomas associated with Xp11.2 translocations/TFE3 gene fusions. In: Eble JN, Sauter G, Epstein JI, Sesterhenn IA (eds) Tumours of the urinary system and male genital organs, pathology and genetics. IARC Press, Lyon, France, pp 37–38Google Scholar
- 2.Franzini A, Picozzi STM, Politi PL, Barana L, Bianchi F, Alfami G, Gatti G, Fanciullacci F, Gariboldi M, Strada M, Leone BE (2007) A case of renal cancer with Tfe3 gene vision in an elderly man. Clinical, radiological and surgical findings. Urol Int 78:179–181. doi: 10.1159/000098080 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Argani P, Hawkins A, Griffin CA, Goldstein JD, Haas M, Beckwith JB et al (2001) A distinctive pediatric renal neoplasm characterised by epitheolid morphology, basement membrane production, focal HMB45 immunoreactivity, and t(6;11)(p21.1;q12) chromosome translocation. Am J Pathol 158:2089–2095PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.van Asseldonk M, Schepens M, de Bruijn D, Janssen B, Merkx G, van Kessel G (2000) Construction of a 350-kb sequence-ready 11q13 cosmid contig encompassing the markers D11S4933 and D11S546: mapping of 11 genes and 3 tumor-associated translocation breakpoints. Genomics 66:25–42Google Scholar
- 8.Martignoni G, Tardanico R, Pea M, Pecciarini L, Gobbo S, Brunelli M et al (2005) t6;11 renal cell tumor. A clinicopathological study for two cases in adults. Mod Pathol 18(Suppl 1):155AGoogle Scholar