Endoscopic subureteral injection treatment with calcium hydroxylapatite in primary vesicoureteral reflux
- 29 Downloads
In this study, we aimed to evaluate efficiency of subureteral injection of calcium hydroxylapatite treatment for primary vesicoureteral reflux (VUR).
Materials and methods
A total of 25 children (mean age 6.9 ± 2.7 years) underwent subureteral injection of calcium hydroxylapatite for primary VUR. Reflux was present in 39 ureteral units that were unilateral in 11 cases and bilateral in 14 cases. According to “International Reflux Classification”; grade II in 12 (30.8%), grade III in 18 (46.2%) and grade IV in 9 (23.1%) ureteral units were found.
The refluxes were resolved in 23 (59.0%) ureteral units after a single injection and 5 ureteral units (12.8%) after a second injection. Overall success rate of reflux treatment with calcium hydroxylapatite was 71.8% in all ureteral units.
Endoscopic subureteral injection of calcium hydroxylapatite in children with primary low-grade VUR appears to be an effective, safe and minimally invasive technique.
KeywordsCalcium hydroxylapatite Endoscopic Injection Vesicoureteral reflux
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Atala A, Keating MA (2002) Vesicoureteral Reflux and Megaureter. In: Walsh PC, Retik AB, Vaughan ED, Wein AJ (eds). Campbell’s urology. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 2053–2116Google Scholar
- 2.Bailey RR, Maling TMJ, Swainson CP (1993) Vesicoureteral reflux and reflux nephropathy. In: Schrier RW, Gottschalk CW (eds). Diseases of the kidney. Little, Brown & Co., Boston 689–727Google Scholar
- 3.Abrams P, Mayer RD, Lawrence W, Hubbard WG (2002) Long-term clinical experience with Coaptite urological bulking agent. Eur Urol (S1): 618 (abstract)Google Scholar
- 4.Mayer R, Lightfoot M, Jung I (2001) Preliminary evaluation of calcium hydroxylapatite as a transurethral bulking agent for stress urinary incontinence. Urology 57:434–438Google Scholar
- 5.Trsinar B, Cotic D, Oblak C (1999) Possible causes of unsuccessful endoscopic collagen treatment of vesicoureteric reflux in children. Eur Urol 36:635–639Google Scholar
- 15.Oswald J, Riccabona M, Lusuardi L, et al (2002) Prospective comparison and one-year follow-up of a single endoscopic subureteral polydimethylsiloxane versus dextranomer/hyaluronic acid copolymer injection for treatment of vesicoureteral reflux in children. Urology 60:894–897PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Mevorach R, Rabinowitz R, Beck C et al. (2002) Endoscopic treatment of vesicoureteral reflux with Coaptite®: The first 50 patients. J Urol 167: 429 (abstract)Google Scholar