Assessing the comparative advantage of broiler production in Peninsular Malaysia using policy analysis matrix
- 61 Downloads
Broiler meat is the largest and cheapest protein source in Malaysia. Using the policy analysis matrix (PAM), this study examines the comparative advantage of broiler production in Peninsular Malaysia. Three hundred and ten farms in Peninsular Malaysia were involved in a field survey. The results of the domestic resource cost (DRC) show that Malaysia has a comparative advantage in all scales of broiler production. Sensitivity analysis indicates that the changes in input prices have a significant effect on comparative advantage. Nonetheless, the industry should reduce its dependence on corn-based feed, which is expensive and has an unstable price, to increase competitiveness in further securing its comparative advantage.
KeywordsBroiler Policy analysis matrix Comparative advantages Peninsular Malaysia DRC
The authors received research grant (no 5526015) from the Ministry of Education (MOE), Malaysia, for data collections.
Compliance with ethical standards
The manuscript does not contain clinical studies or patient data.
- Abdurofi, I., Ismail, M., Kamal, H., & Gabdo, B. (2017). Economic analysis of broiler production in Peninsular Malaysia. International Food Research Journal, 24(2).Google Scholar
- Akter, S., Jabbar, M. A., Ehui, S., & Goletti, F. (2004). Competitiveness of poultry and pig production in Vietnam: an application of policy analysis matrix. Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, 43(2), 177–192.Google Scholar
- Awad, A., Elbadawi, E., Ismail, M. M., & Mohamed Arshad, F. (2015). Assessing the competitiveness and comparative advantage of broiler production in Johor using policy analysis matrix. International Food Research Journal, 22(1), 116–121.Google Scholar
- Department of Statistics, M. (2015). Selected Agricultural Indicators Malaysia 2015. Putrajaya Retrieved from https://www.statistics.gov.my/index.php?r=column/.
- DVS. (2016). Department of Veterinary Services, Statistik Retrieved 23/12/2016, 2016, from http://www.dvs.gov.my/
- Ismail, M. M., Abdullah, A. M., & Serin, T. (2013). Financial Assessment of Government Incentives on Broiler Production in Peninsular Malaysia. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, stored in a database or retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronics, mechanical, graphic, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of Universiti Malaysia Sabah, except as permitted by Act 332, Malaysian Copyright Act of 1987. Permission of rights is subjected to royalty or honorarium payment., 7, 94.Google Scholar
- Junaid, J. M., Dar, N. A., Bhat, T. A., Bhat, A. H., & Bhat, M. A. (2013). Commercial biocontrol agents and their mechanism of action in the management of plant pathogens. International Journal of Modern Plant & Animal Sciences, 1(2), 39–57.Google Scholar
- Masters, W. A. (1991). Comparative advantage and government policy in Zimbabwean agriculture: Stanford University.Google Scholar
- MoA. (2015). Agro-food Statistics Book 2015. Purtajaya. Malaysia Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-based Industry (MoA).Google Scholar
- Mohamed, Z., Shamsudin, M. N., Latif, I. A., & Mu’azu, A. U. (2013). Measuring competition along the supply chain of the Malaysian poultry industry. Paper presented at the International Conference on Social Science Research.Google Scholar
- Monke, E. A., & Pearson, S. R. (1989). The policy analysis matrix for agricultural development: Cornell University Press Ithaca.Google Scholar
- Shamsudin, M. N. (2013). Food security and policy responses with special reference to the poultry industry. Paper presented at the Proceeding of WPSA and WVPA Scientific Conference. Selangor: Faculty of Veterinary UPM.Google Scholar
- Syauqi, M. N, Zaffrie, M., MA, & HI, H (2015). Broiler Industry in Malaysia. http://ap.fftc.agnet.org/ap_db.php?id=532&pri
- Tsakok, I. (1990). Agricultural price policy: a practitioner’s guide to partial-equilibrium analysis: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Veitch, M. (1986). National parameters for project appraisal in Malaysia: Jabatan Perdana Menteri.Google Scholar
- Yeboah, O., Naanwaab, C. B., & Poku, P. H. A. (2015). Estimation of Export Demand for US Meat Products. Paper presented at the 2015 Annual Meeting, January 31–February 3, 2015, Atlanta, Georgia.Google Scholar