Detection and molecular characterization of porcine kobuvirus in piglets in 2009–2013 in northern Thailand
- 267 Downloads
A total of 636 fecal samples collected from piglets with and without diarrhea during 2009 to 2013 were tested for porcine kobuvirus by RT-PCR. From a total of 528 fecal samples collected from piglets with diarrhea and 108 from healthy controls, 505 (95.6%) and 104 (96.3%) were positive for porcine kobuvirus, respectively. The detection rates of porcine kobuvirus were remarkable equally high in both diarrheic and healthy piglets. Phylogenetic analysis revealed that porcine kobuvirus strains detected in both symptomatic and asymptomatic piglets were genetically closely related to each other and also to other porcine kobuviruses reported worldwide. It was interesting to point out that one of the porcine kobuvirus strains isolated from piglet in our study was similar to a porcine-like bovine kobuvirus reference strain isolated previously in South Korea. This finding provided the evidence to support the interspecies transmission of kobuviruses between cattle and swine.
KeywordsPorcine kobuvirus Diarrhea Piglet Epidemiology Thailand
This study was funded by the grants from the Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University (grant number 83/2555), Center of Excellence (Emerging and Re-emerging Diarrheal Viruses Research Center), Chiang Mai University (grant number ST6392(11)/1089), Thailand.
Compliance with ethical standards
Statement of animal rights
All applications during the study were performed according to animal rights, and the manuscript does not contain clinical studies or patient data.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Chuchaona, W., Khamrin, P., Yodmeeklin, A., Kumthip, K., Saikruang, W., Thongprachum, A., Okitsu, S., Ushijima, H., Maneekarn, N., 2017. Detection and characterization of Aichi virus 1 in pediatric patients with diarrhea in Thailand, Journal of Medical Virology, 89, 234–238.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fan, S., Sun, H., Ying, Y., Gao, X., Wang, Z., Yu, Y., Li, Y., Wang, T., Yu, Z., Yang, S., Zhao, Y., Qin, C., Gao, Y., Xia, X., 2013. Identification and characterization of porcine kobuvirus variant isolated from suckling piglet in Gansu province, China, Viruses, 5, 2548–2560.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Jackova, A., Sliz I., Mandelik R., Salamunova S., Novotny J., Kolesarova M., Vlasakova M., Vilcek S., 2017. Porcine kobuvirus 1 in healthy and diarrheic pigs: genetic detection and characterization of virus and co-infection with rotavirus A, Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 10, 73–77.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Okitsu, S., Khamrin, P., Thongprachum, A., Kalesaran, A.F., Takanashi, S., Shimizu, H., Maneekarn, N., Mizuguchi, M., Hayakawa, S., Ushijima, H., 2014. Molecular characterization and sequence analysis of the 2B region of Aichivirus C strains in Japan and Thailand, Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 26, 89–94.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Van Dung, N., Anh, P.H., Van Cuong, N., Hoa, N.T., Carrique-Mas, J., Hien, V.B., Sharp, C., Rabaa, M., Berto, A., Campbell, J., Baker, S., Farrar, J., Woolhouse, M.E., Bryant, J.E., Simmonds, P., 2016. Large-scale screening and characterization of enteroviruses and kobuviruses infecting pigs in Vietnam, Journal of General Virology, 97, 378–388.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar