Improved milk production performance of smallholder farms in West Java (Indonesia)
- 183 Downloads
In Indonesia, because of the rapidly growing demand for dairy products, the development of milk production in rural communities can play a strong role in reducing poverty. However, the development of smallholder dairy production requires adequate support from the government, development organizations, and private firms. To assess the needs and situations of poor dairy farmers, we conducted a study in Ciater sub-district in West Java Province to compare the current situation with the situation that prevailed 4 years ago, i.e., before the implementation of a dairy development project. Data were collected from 61 farms in June 2014. The average number of cows on the farms surveyed was three to four, and each relied on cultivating an average of 0.4 ha of forage. Results showed that thanks to the project activities, milk productivity per cow and net income from milk production increased by 25 % between 2010 and 2014. These results underline the importance of providing training and technical support for the development of the livelihoods of dairy smallholders.
KeywordsMilk production Dairy development Smallholder farmers Indonesia
The authors gratefully acknowledge Danone Ecosysteme who funded this study, together with CIRAD and the Directorate General of Higher Education of the Ministry of Education and Culture in Indonesia. We are also thankful to Sahabat Cipta Foundation, the KPSBU cooperative, and local communities and producers for their cooperation during the field survey.
Compliance with ethical standards
Statement of human and animal rights
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
This article does not contain any studies with animals performed by any of the authors.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Badan Pusat Statistik Kabupaten Subang, 2014. Kecamatan Ciater dalam Angka tahun 2014, Subang.Google Scholar
- Badan Standardisasi Nasional. 2009. Pakan Konsentrat Sapi SNI 3148.1: 2009, Badan Standardisasi Nasional, Jakarta.Google Scholar
- Corniaux C., Alary V., Gautier D., Duteurtre G., 2012 : « Producteur laitier en Afrique de l’Ouest : une modernité rêvée par les techniciens à l’épreuve du terrain », Autrepart (62), 2012, p. 17–36 http://dx.doi.org/ 10.3917/autr.062.0017
- Direktorat Jenderal Peternakan, 1983. Laporan pertemuan pelaksanaan uji coba faktor-faktor penentu dan perencanaan tata penyuluhan subsektor peternakan. Departemen Pertanian, Jakarta.Google Scholar
- Direktorat Jenderal Peternakan dan Kesehatan Hewan, 2013. Statistik Peternakan dan Kesehatan Hewan. Kementerian Pertanian Republik Indonesia, Jakarta.Google Scholar
- Moran, 2005. Tropical dairy farming: feeding management for smallholder dairy farmers in the humid tropics, Landlinks Press, 312 p. http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=SA0501065.pdf
- Nganga S.K., Kungu J., Ridder N., and Herrero M., 2010. Profit efficiency among Kenyan smallholders milk producers: A case study of Meru-South district, Kenya, Agricultural Resources, 5, 332–337Google Scholar
- Pandian A.S.S., Shree J.S., Raja M.B., and Vetrivel D., 2013. Efficiency of resources use in urban milk production in the state of Tamil Nadu, India, Vet Sci, 2(4), 118–120. www.ijvets.com Accessed 18 October2014
- Nell and Rollinson, 1974. The requirement and availability of livestock feed in Indonesia. FAO. ReportGoogle Scholar
- Sahabat Cipta Foundation, 2011. Laporan Akhir: Karakteristik peternak sapi perah Ciater, oleh Lembaga Studi Pembangunan Peternakan Indonesia, Bekerjasama dengan, KPSBU Jawa Barat, Yayasan Sahabat Cipta, Danone Dairy Indonesia, Jakarta, 55 p. + DatabaseGoogle Scholar
- Sajjad, M., & Khan, M. 2010. Economic efficiency of milk production in District Peshawer : a Stochastic Frontier Approach. Agriculture, 26(4), 655–663Google Scholar
- Taslim. 2011. Pengaruh faktor produksi susu usahaternak sapi perah melalui pendekatan analisis jalur di Jawa Barat.Ilmu Ternak, 1(10), 52–56Google Scholar
- Tawaf, R., & Surianingrat, A. S. 2010. The Role of Demo Farm to Develop Small Holder, (p. 5), BandungGoogle Scholar