Estimation of mature live weight using some body measurements in Karya sheep
- 357 Downloads
The aim of this study was to determine models which will be used for the estimation of adult live weights based on some body measurements using multiple regression model in Karya sheep of different age groups. Animal material of the study consisted of a total of 215 Karya sheep. Least squares means for live weight, body length, rump height, withers height, back height, chest depth, chest girth, and chest width of Karya sheep in Adnan Menderes University Group Sheep Breeding Program elite flock and breeder flocks were found as 47.24 kg, 67.08, 68.29, 68.58, 66.97, 30.04, 93.24, and 18.29 cm, respectively. Karya ewes were put into five categories according to ages (2–6 years). High positive phenotypic correlation coefficients were observed between live weight and body measurements of animals in different age groups (2–6 years). Among the formed multiple regression models, the highest coefficients of determination (R 2) were obtained from the models formed for body length or body length and chest girth together (R 2 = 0.79, R 2 = 0.87). It is concluded that live weight of Karya sheep can be estimated with a high accuracy using some body measurements and statistical methods.
KeywordsKarya Sheep Live weight estimation Body measurements Regression Live weight
- Afolayan, R.A., Adeyinka, I.A., Lakpini, C.A.M., 2006. The estimation of live weight from body measurements in Yankasa sheep, Czech Journal of Animal Science, 51, 343–348.Google Scholar
- Akçapınar, H., 1994. Sheep Breeding, (Medisan Press, Ankara).Google Scholar
- Çankaya, S., Altop, A., Kul, E., Erener, G., 2009. Body weight estimation in Karayaka lambs by using factor analysis scores, Anadolu Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 24, 98–102.Google Scholar
- Cemal, İ., Karaca, O., Yılmaz, O., Yılmaz, M., 2009. Ultrasonic Measurement Parameters of Eye Muscle and Marketing Weight in Karya Lambs. In: Proceedings of the 6th National Animal Science Congress, Erzurum, 2009, (Atatürk University Faculty of Agriculture), 2009, 63–69.Google Scholar
- Fourie, P.J., Neser, F.W.C., Olivier, J.J., Van der Westhuizen, C., 2002. Relationship between production performance, visual appraisal and body measurements of young Dorper rams, South African Journal of Animal Science, 32, 256–262.Google Scholar
- Gökdal, Ö., Ülker, H., Oto, M.M., Temur, C., Budağ, C., 2000. Different production traits and body measurements of Karakaş sheep in rural farm conditions, Yuzuncu Yil University Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 10, 103–111.Google Scholar
- Islam, M.M., Ahmed, N., Giasuddin, M., Khan, E.H., Sarker, N.R., 1994. Prediction of live weight of cattle by fitted regression lines, Bangladesh Journal of Animal Science, 23, 127–132.Google Scholar
- Johansson, I., Hildeman, S.E., 1954. The relationship between certain body measurements and live and slaughter weight in cattle, Animal Breeding Abstracts, 22, 1–17.Google Scholar
- Karaca, O., Cetiner, S., Cemal, İ., 1999. Some characteristics and conservation possibilities of Cine Capari sheep breed as genetic resource. In: Proceedings of the International Animal Breeding Congress’99, İzmir, (Ege University Faculty of Agriculture), 1999, 558–563.Google Scholar
- Karaca, O., Altın, T., Cemal, İ., Özdemir, S., Yılmaz, M., 2009a. Body measurements and udder characteristics in Karya sheep. In: Proceedings of the 6th National Animal Science Congress, Erzurum, (Atatürk University Faculty of Agriculture), 2009, 355–361.Google Scholar
- Karaca, O., Cemal, İ., Yilmaz, O., Yılmaz, M., 2009b. Karya Sheep. In: Proceedings of the Turkiye National Sheep Breeding Congress, Izmir, (Ege University Faculty of Agriculture), 2009, 225–234.Google Scholar
- Kaymakci, M., Sonmez, R., 1996. The Advanced Sheep Breeding, (Ege University Press, İzmir).Google Scholar
- Kaymakçı, M., Koşum, N., Taşkın, T., Akbaş, Y., Ataç, F.E., 2004. A study on determining of some production traits for Menemen sheep types. In: Proceedings of the 4th National Animal Science Congress, Isparta, (Süleyman Demirel University Faculty of Agriculture), 2004, 27–38.Google Scholar
- Kılıç, İ., Özbeyaz, C., 2010. Live weight estimation of Karayaka and Bafra (Chios x Karayaka B1) sheep using some body measurements, Journal of Lalahan Livestock Research Institute, 50, 1–11.Google Scholar
- Nsoso, S.J., Aganga, A.A., Moganetsi, B.P., Tshwenyane, S.O., 2003. Body weight, body condition score and hearth girth in indigenous Tswana goats during the dry and wet seasons in southeast Botswana, Livestock Research Rural Development, (15) 4. Retrieved May 28, 112, from http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd15/4/nsos154.htm.
- Özbey, O., Esen, F., Aysöndü, M.H., 2000. Production characteristics of Kıvırcık x (Chios x Red Karaman) F1 and Chios x (Kıvırcık x Red Karaman) crossbred lambs. I. Growth, survival ability and body measurements, The Journal of the University of Yuzuncu Yil, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,11, 27–33.Google Scholar
- Özcan, H., Akı, T., Türker, F., 1974. Comparative study of body Form, live and fleece weights of the Kıvırcık and different Texel crossbreds at İnanlı Animal Breeding Research Station, Veterinary Journal of Ankara University, 21, 390–400.Google Scholar
- Öztürk, A., Kayış, S.A., Parlat, S.S., Gürkan, M., 1994. The possibilities of estimating the live weight using some body measurements in Konya Merino, Bahri Dagdas International Agricultaral Research Institute Journal of Animal Research, 4, 23–25.Google Scholar
- Pesmen, G., Yardimci, M., 2008. Estimating the live weight using some body measurements in Saanen goat, Archiva Zootechnica, 11, 30–40.Google Scholar
- SAS, 1999. The SAS System SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA, Version 8 Copyright © 1999.Google Scholar
- Şeker, İ., Kul, S., 2000. Body weight, body measurements and their relationships with milk yield in Awassi and East-Friesian Crossbreed (F1) ewes, The Journal of the University of Yuzuncu Yil, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, 11, 123–127.Google Scholar
- Tellioğlu, S., Sabas, S., 1976. The body measurement on the Morkaraman ewes in Atatürk Universty, Atatürk University Journal of the Faculty of Agriculture, 7, 61–75.Google Scholar
- Thiruvenkadan, A.K., 2005. Determination of best-fitted regression model for estimation of body weight in Kanni Adu kids under farmer’s management system, Livestock Research Rural Development, 17, Article #85. Retrieved Febuary 17, 2012 http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd17/7/thir17085.htm.
- Yalçın, B.C., 1986. Sheep and Goats in Turkey. FAO Animal Production and Protection. Retrieved January 03, 2012, http://www.fao.org/docrep/009/ah224e/AH224E00.htm#TOC.
- Yıldırır, M., Erdoğan, İ., Sezenler, T., 2011a. Body measurement and growth characteristics of Sakiz (Chios) sheep breed in Marmara Livestock Research Institute. In Proceeding of the 8th (RBI) Global Conference on the Conservation of Domestic Animal Genetic Diversity, Tekirdag, (Namık Kemal University Faculty of Agriculture), 2011, 341–344.Google Scholar
- Yıldırır, M., Sezenler, T., Erdoğan, İ., Yüksel, M.A., Soysal, D., Ceyhan, A., 2011b. The Present Studies on Animal Genetic Resources in Bandırma Sheep Research Station: a Review, Journal of Animal Science Advances, 1, 73–78.Google Scholar
- Yilmaz, O., Karaca, O., Altin, T., Cemal, İ., 2009. Growth Characteristics and Survival rates for Karya Lambs at Marketing Period. In: Proceedings of the 6th National Animal Science Congress, Erzurum, (Atatürk University Faculty of Agriculture), 2009, 165–173.Google Scholar