Bilateral follicular cysts in a water buffalo
- 160 Downloads
The present short communication puts on record a case of bilateral, multiple follicular cysts in a water buffalo along with a detailed description of its ovarian biometry and follicular fluid composition. The ovarian weight and biometrical parameters were much higher than in normal cycling buffaloes. A total of three follicular cysts were observed, two on the right ovary and one on the left ovary, measuring 4.9, 3.0 and 2.6 cm yielding 21, 9 and 5 ml of follicular fluid, respectively. The cystic fluid was deep yellow in colour with a viscous consistency. The follicular fluid concentrations of glucose, total protein, cholesterol, acid phosphatase, calcium, phosphorus and progesterone in all the cysts were within the range reported previously in normal buffalo follicular fluid; however, the alkaline phosphatase concentration in cyst 1 and total bilirubin concentration in cysts 1 and 2 were higher than the values in normal follicular fluid. In contrast, the levels of urea nitrogen in cysts 1 and 3, and oestradiol in cyst 3 were lower than the normal values. All the three follicles had an oestradiol to progesterone ratio less than 1. The results of our study suggest that follicular cysts in buffalo are oestrogenically inactive and have an altered concentration of certain biochemical and hormonal constituents.
KeywordsBuffalo Ovary Follicular cyst Biochemical Hormones
- Das, G.K. and Khan, F.A., 2010. Summer anoestrus in buffalo–—a review. Reproduction in Domestic Animals, doi:10.1111/j.1439-0531.2010.01598.x, in press.
- Khan, F.A., Das, G.K. and Gogoi, Deepok, 2009. Ovarian attributes of cyclic and non-cyclic buffaloes during summer. In: Proceedings of the XXVth Annual Convention of the Indian Society for Study of Animal Reproduction (ISSAR), Namakkal, India, 2009, 115 (Abstract).Google Scholar
- Luktuke, S.N. and Arora, R.L., 1972. Studies on cystic degeneration of ovaries in buffalo females. Indian Veterinary Journal, 49, 146–150.Google Scholar
- Palta, P., Bansal, N., Prakash, B.S., Manik, R.S. and Madan, M.L., 1998. Follicular fluid immunoreactive inhibin concentrations in relation to follicular diameter and estradiol-17β, progesterone and testosterone concentrations in individual ovarian follicles in buffalo, Bubalus bubalis. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 36, 768–774.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Razzaque, W.A.A., Sahatpure, S.K., Pawshe, C.H. and Kuralkar, S.V., 2008. Biometry of ovaries and follicular count in cycling and non-cycling Nagpuri buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis). Buffalo Bulletin, 27, 150–153.Google Scholar