Meat production traits of a new sheep breed called Bafra in Turkey 2. Meat quality characteristics of lambs
- 286 Downloads
Meat quality characteristics of Bafra ram lambs slaughtered at different weights were investigated. A total of 24 lambs fattened intensively was slaughtered at four slaughter weights of 30, 35, 40, and 45 kg. Water-holding capacity, cooking loss, tenderness, color, as well as protein content did not vary significantly among the slaughter weight groups, although the 30-kg slaughter weight lambs displayed the greatest postmortem pH fall in musculus longissimus dorsi (P < 0.05). As slaughter weight increased, intramuscular fat of musculus longissimus dorsi showed an increasing nutritive value (P < 0.05), total unsaturated fatty acids/saturated fatty acids ratio (P < 0.05), and n6/n3 ratio (P < 0.05). However, atherogenic index and thrombogenic index values decreased with increasing slaughter weight, although this effect was not significant. The effect of slaughter weight on total cholesterol was not pronounced.
KeywordsLamb Meat quality Slaughter weight Breed
This study was prepared from the senior author's Ph.D. thesis. The authors thank the Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey (project number: 106O581), Ankara University (project number: BIYEP 2005 K120140), and Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs of Turkey for supporting this work.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemistry (AOAC), 2000. Official methods of analysis of AOAC international, 17th ed. Maryland, USA.Google Scholar
- Barton-Gade, P.A., Demeyer, D., Honikel, K.O., Joseph, R.L., Puolanne, E., Severini, M., Smulders, F., Tonberg, E., 1993. Reference methods for water holding capacity in meat and meat products: procedures recommended by an OECD working group. 39th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology, Calgary, File S4 Po2.WP.Google Scholar
- Caneque, V., Velasco, S., Diaz, M., Perez, C., Huıdobro, F., Lauzurica, S., Manzanares, C., Gonzalez, J., 2001. Effect of weaning age and slaughter weight on carcass and meat quality of Talaverana breed lambs raised at pasture, Animal Science, 73,85–95.Google Scholar
- Department of Health, 1994. Nutritional aspects of cardiovascular disease. Report on health and social subjects No.46, HMSO, London.Google Scholar
- Ekiz, B., Yılmaz, A., Özcan, M., Kaptan, C., Hanoglu, H., Erdogan, I, Yalcintan, H., 2009. Carcass measurements and meat quality of Turkish Merino, Ramlic, Kivircik, Chios and Imroz lambs raised under an intensive production system, Meat Science, doi: 10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.12.001.
- UNE-EN ISO 5509, 2000. Aceites y grasas de origen vegetal. Preparacion de esteres metilicos de acidos grasos. Associacion Espanola parala Normalizacion y Certificacion (AENOR).Google Scholar
- Ünal, N., Akçapınar, H., Atasoy, F., Yakan, A., Uğurlu, M., 2008. Milk yield and milking traits measured with different methods in Bafra sheep, Revue de Medecine Veterinaire, 159,494–501.Google Scholar