Factors influencing production of hygienic raw milk by small scale dairy producers in selected areas of the Jaffna district, Sri Lanka
- 172 Downloads
The objective of the study was to investigate the influence of dairy cow management techniques and milking methods on hygienic quality of raw milk. Total Bacterial Count (TBC) and Total Coliform Colonies (TCC) were studied to determine the effects. Investigations were carried out in fifty dairy farms from August 2007 to December 2007. The mean TBC and TCC for the herds with comparatively good and poor management practices were 0.9 × 105 cfu/ml and 0.2 × 103/ml and 99 × 105 cfu/ml and >180 × 103/ml, respectively. The overall mean TBC (22 × 105 cfu/ml) and TCC (47 × 103/ml) obtained in this study exceeded the internationally recommended levels for TBC (105 cfu/ml) and TCC (<1,000/ml). The overall results obtained suggested that the raw milk tested was of poor hygienic quality with the presence of a great variability among milk samples.
KeywordsRaw milk Hygienic quality Dairy microbiology Total bacterial count Total coliform count
Authors willing to express their sincere gratitude to Dr.K.Sivapalan Dean Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna for allowing them to carry out the microbial analysis at the Pathology Laboratory and Mr.P.Thevapatham, Staff Technical Officer, Division of Microbiology, Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna for his continuous help in the laboratory analysis.
- Bartlett, P.F., 1980. Cost benefit analysis: a test of alternative methodologies, Agricultural decision making to Rural Development, (Academic Press, Rando San Diego, New York)Google Scholar
- Bramley, A.J. and McKinnon,C.H.,1990. The microbiology of raw milk, Dairy Microbiology,1, 163–208Google Scholar
- El-Hadi Sulieman,A.M., 2007. Effect of pretreatment of milk quality characteristics of Jibna-Beida (White Cheese), International Journal of Food Engineering, 4,15Google Scholar
- Farhan, M. and Salik, S., 2007. Evaluation of bacteriological contamination in raw (unprocessed) milk sold in different regions of Lahore (Pakistan), Journal of Agriculture & Social Sciences, 1813–2235Google Scholar
- Kyozaire,J.K., 2003. Microbiological quality of goat milk obtained under different production system. (Unpublished MMed Vet(Hyg) Thesis, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria)Google Scholar
- Omore,A., Stall.S.J., Osafo.E.L.K., Kurwijilla.L.,Barton.D., Mdoe.N., Nurah.G. and Aning.G., 2004. Market Mechanisms, Efficiency,Processing and Public health risks in Peri Urban Dairy product markets: Synthesis of findings from Ghana and Tanzania. Final Technical Report for LPP Project R7321.Google Scholar
- Reinemann,D.J, Grea M.V.H., and Rasmussen, M.D., 2000. Review of practices for cleaning and sanitation of milking machines. Paper presented at the Pacific Dairy Congress Nagano Japan.Google Scholar
- Sraïri, M.T., Moudnib, J., Rahho, L. and Hamama,A., 2006. How do milking conditions affect the hygienic quality of raw milk?Case study from Moroccan dairy farms. Livestock research for rural development, 18Google Scholar