Prevalence of bovine cysticercosis in slaughtered cattle in Iran
- 303 Downloads
Bovine cysticercosis is an important food safety issue and can cause economic loss. A cross sectional study on Taenia saginata cysticercosis was carried out in slaughtered cattle in Iran in order to determine the infection rate during a three-years period, from 2005 to 2007. A total of 4,534,105 cattle were examined by routine meat inspection. The results showed that 11,410 cattle (0.25 %) were infected with Cysticercus bovis; among those 1,041 carcasses (0.02%) were condemned. In such carcasses the metacestodes caused extensive damage in the vicinity of cysts in infected cattle. The rejected carcasses had an average of 410 thousands USD loss annually.
KeywordsBovine cysticercosis Taenia saginata Slaughtered cattle Infected cattle Meat inspection
- Amini, F. and Siaddat, H., 1960. Epidemiological survey of clinic a treatment of taeniasis in Iran. Journal of Iranian Institute of Parasitology and Mycology, 7, 73.Google Scholar
- Eslami, A., Helan, J.A. and Gharouni, M.H., 2003. Report of two rare cases of rumen cysticercosis in cattle of Khorram-Abad. Journal of Veterinary Research, 58(3), 267–270.Google Scholar
- Eslami, A., 1997. Veterinary Helminthology: Cestoda, Vol.2, 2nd Edition, Tehran University Publication.Google Scholar
- Farahmandian, I., Sahba, G.H., Arfaa, F. and Movafagh, K., 1973. Comparison of stool examination and mass-treatment for indication of the prevalence of Taenia saginata. Journal of Tropical and Geographical Medicine, 25, 171–73.Google Scholar
- Herenda, D., Chambers, P.G., Ettriqui, A., Seneviratna, P. and da Silva, P., 2000. Manual on meat inspection for developing countries. Cysticercosis. Food Agriculture Organization (FAO). FAO Animal production and health paper 119. http://www.fao.org/docrep.
- Kia, E.B., Masoud, J., Yalda, Y., Mahmoudi, M. and Farahani, H., 2005. Study on Human Taeniasis by Administering Anti-Taenia Drug. Iranian Journal of Public Health, 34 (4), 47–50.Google Scholar
- Oryan, A., Moghaddar, N. and Gaur, S.N.S., 1995. Taenia saginata cysticercosis in cattle with special reference to its prevalence, pathogenesis and economic-implications in Fars Province of Iran. Veterinary Research, 57(4), 319–327.Google Scholar