Adhesion and friction studies of a nano-textured surface produced by spin coating of colloidal silica nanoparticle solution
- 901 Downloads
This paper presents the results of adhesion and friction studies on a nano-textured surface. The nano-textures were produced by spin coating colloidal silica nanoparticle solution on a flat silicon substrate. Surface morphology was characterized by environmental scanning electron microscopy (ESEM) and scanning probe microscopy (SPM). Adhesion and friction studies were conducted using a TriboIndenter employing diamond tips with 5 μm and 100 μm nominal radii of curvature. The results show that the adhesion forces and coefficients of friction of the nano-textured surface measured by the 100 μm tip were reduced up to 98 and 88%, respectively, compared to those of a baseline silicon oxide film surface.
Keywordsadhesion friction nano-surface-texturing nano-textured surface spin coating
We thank the College of Engineering, the Fulbright College of Arts & Sciences, and the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the University of Arkansas for major equipment funding support.
- 1.Micro and Nanotech Industry Review, Business Communications Co., http://www.mindbranch.com/listing/product/R2-663.html, March 2003Google Scholar
- 6.N.A. Burnham and A.J. Kulik, in: Handbook of Micro/Nanotribology, 2nd ed., ed. B. Bhushan (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1998) 247Google Scholar
- 7.R.L. Alley, P. Mai, K. Komvopoulos and R.T. Howe, Proc. 7th Int. Conf. Solid-State Sensors and Actuators, Transducers ‘93, Yokohama, Japan, (1993) p. 288Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Yee, K. Chu and J.D. Lee, Proc. 8th Int. Conf. Solid-State Sensors and Actuators, Transducers ‘95 – Eurosensors IX, Stockholm, Sweden, 1 (1995) 206Google Scholar
- 12.C.-H. Choi, J. Kim and C.-J. Kim, Proc. 3rd ASME Integrated Nanosystems Conf.: Design, Synthesis, and Applications, Pasadena, CA, Sep. 2004, CD, IMECE2004-46078Google Scholar
- 13.Asakawa K., Ishizuka M., (2002) Optronics 244:139Google Scholar
- 14.Murillo R., Van W.H.A., Abelmann L., Lodder J.C., (2005) Microelectr. Eng. 260:78–79Google Scholar
- 15.Yao J., Yan X., Lu G., Zhang K., Chen X., Jiang L., Yang B., (2004) Adv. Mater. 16:81Google Scholar
- 20.Bowden F.P., Tabor D., 1986 The Friction and Lubrication of Solids Clarendon Press OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 23.Komvopoulos K., Saka N., Suh N.P., (1986) ASME J. Tribol. 108:301Google Scholar