Overexpression of the maize γ-tocopherol methyltransferase gene (ZmTMT) increases α-tocopherol content in transgenic Arabidopsis and maize seeds
- 49 Downloads
The vitamin E family includes tocopherols and tocotrienols, which are essential lipid-soluble antioxidants necessary for human and livestock health. The seeds of many plant species, including maize, have high gamma (γ)-tocopherol but low alpha (α)-tocopherol contents; however, α-tocopherol is the most effective antioxidant. Therefore, it is necessary to optimize the tocopherol composition in plants. α-Tocopherol is synthesized from γ-tocopherol by γ-tocopherol methyltransferase (γ-TMT, VTE4) in the final step of the tocopherol biosynthetic pathway. In the present study, the full-length coding sequence (CDS) of γ-TMT was isolated from Zea mays, named ZmTMT. The ZmTMT CDS was 1059 bp in size, encoding 352 amino acids. Recombinant ZmTMT was expressed in Escherichia coli and the purified protein effectively converted γ-tocopherol into α-tocopherol in vitro. A comparison of enzyme activities showed that the activity of ZmTMT was higher than that of GmTMT2a (Glycine max) and AtTMT (Arabidopsis thaliana). Overexpression of ZmTMT increased the α-tocopherol content 4–5-fold in transgenic Arabidopsis and around 6.5-fold in transgenic maize kernels, and increased the α-/γ-tocopherol ratio to approximately 15 and 17, respectively. These results show that it is feasible to overexpress ZmTMT to optimize the tocopherol composition in maize; such a corn product might be useful in the feed industry in the near future.
Keywordsα-Tocopherol α-/γ-Tocopherol ratio γ-Tocopherol methyltransferase (γ-TMT) Zea mays
We thank Dr. Ling Jiang at Biotechnology Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, for manuscript revise and valuable discussions. This work was supported by the National Special Program for GMO Development of China (Grant Number 2016ZX08003-002).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Arun M, Subramanyam K, Theboral J, Sivanandhan G, Rajesh M, Kapil Dev G, Jaganath B, Manickavasagam M, Girija S, Ganapathi A (2014) Transfer and targeted overexpression of gamma-tocopherol methyltransferase (gamma-TMT) gene using seed-specific promoter improves tocopherol composition in Indian soybean cultivars. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 172(4):1763–1776. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-013-0645-9 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Chinese feed industry association (2008) Chinese feed industry yearbook 2006/2007. Chinese Commercial Press, Shanghai, pp 144–145Google Scholar
- Diepenbrock CH, Kandianis CB, Lipka AE, Magallanes-Lundback M, Vaillancourt B, Gongora-Castillo E, Wallace JG, Cepela J, Mesberg A, Bradbury PJ, Ilut DC, Mateos-Hernandez M, Hamilton J, Owens BF, Tiede T, Buckler ES, Rocheford T, Buell CR, Gore MA, DellaPenna D (2017) Novel loci underlie natural variation in vitamin E levels in Maize Grain. Plant Cell 29(10):2374–2392. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.17.00475 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Falk J, Andersen G, Kernebeck B, Krupinska K (2003) Constitutive overexpression of barley 4-hydroxyphenylpyruvate dioxygenase in tobacco results in elevation of the vitamin E content in seeds but not in leaves1. FEBS Lett 540(1–3):35–40. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0014-5793(03)00166-2 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Karunanandaa B, Qi Q, Hao M, Baszis SR, Jensen PK, Wong YH, Jiang J, Venkatramesh M, Gruys KJ, Moshiri F, Post-Beittenmiller D, Weiss JD, Valentin HE (2005) Metabolically engineered oilseed crops with enhanced seed tocopherol. Metab Eng 7(5–6):384–400. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymben.2005.05.005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim Y, Seo H, Park T, Baek S, Shin W, Kim H, Kim J, Choi Y, Yun S (2005) Enhanced biosynthesis of α-tocopherol in transgenic soybean by introducing γ-TMT gene. Journal of Plant Biotechnology 7(3):1–7Google Scholar
- Lee BK, Kim SL, Kim KH, Yu SH, Lee SC, Zhang Z, Kim MS, Park HM, Lee JY (2008) Seed specific expression of perilla γ-tocopherol methyltransferase gene increases α-tocopherol content in transgenic perilla (Perilla frutescens). Plant Cell, Tissue Organ Cult 92(1):47–54. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11240-007-9301-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li Q, Yang X, Xu S, Cai Y, Zhang D, Han Y, Li L, Zhang Z, Gao S, Li J, Yan J (2012) Genome-wide association studies identified three independent polymorphisms associated with alpha-tocopherol content in maize kernels. PLoS ONE 7(5):e36807. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0036807 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Lipka AE, Gore MA, Magallanes-Lundback M, Mesberg A, Lin H, Tiede T, Chen C, Buell CR, Buckler ES, Rocheford T, DellaPenna D (2013) Genome-wide association study and pathway-level analysis of tocochromanol levels in maize grain. G3 (Bethesda) 3(8):1287–1299. https://doi.org/10.1534/g3.113.006148 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of agriculture, PRC (2004a) Agricultural industry standards, PRC NY/T 33-2004 Feeding standard of chicken. Chinese Agricultural Press, Beijing, pp 3–8Google Scholar
- Ministry of agriculture, PRC (2004b) Agricultural industry standards, PRC NY/T 65-2004 Feeding standard of swine. Chinese Agricultural Press, Beijing, pp 4–5Google Scholar
- Naqvi S, Farre G, Zhu C, Sandmann G, Capell T, Christou P (2011) Simultaneous expression of Arabidopsis rho-hydroxyphenylpyruvate dioxygenase and MPBQ methyltransferase in transgenic corn kernels triples the tocopherol content. Transgenic Res 20(1):177–181. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11248-010-9393-6 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Seo YS, Kim SJ, Harn CH, Kim WT (2011) Ectopic expression of apple fruit homogentisate phytyltransferase gene (MdHPT1) increases tocopherol in transgenic tomato (Solanum lycopersicum cv. Micro-Tom) leaves and fruits. Phytochemistry 72(4–5):321–329. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytochem.2010.12.013 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Van Eenennaam AL, Lincoln K, Durrett TP, Valentin HE, Shewmaker CK, Thorne GM, Jiang J, Baszis SR, Levering CK, Aasen ED, Hao M, Stein JC, Norris SR, Last RL (2003) Engineering vitamin E content: from Arabidopsis mutant to soy oil. Plant Cell 15(12):3007–3019. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.015875 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Wang H, Xu S, Fan Y, Liu N, Zhan W, Liu H, Xiao Y, Li K, Pan Q, Li W, Deng M, Liu J, Jin M, Yang X, Li J, Li Q, Yan J (2018) Beyond pathways: genetic dissection of tocopherol content in maize kernels by combining linkage and association analyses. Plant Biotechnol J 16(8):1464–1475. https://doi.org/10.1111/pbi.12889 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Yoshida H, Yusin M, Kuhlenkamp J, Kaplowitz N (1990) The purification and characterization of tocopherol binding protein tbp in rat liver. Hepatology 12(4 PART 2):930Google Scholar