Etherification of 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural to a Biodiesel Component Over Ionic Liquid Modified Zeolites
- 555 Downloads
In this work, ionic liquid (IL) modified H-Beta zeolites were prepared and the physicochemical properties of the catalysts were investigated. IL modified zeolites were applied in 5-hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF) etherification to tert-butoxymethylfurfural (tBMF) which is a potential (bio)diesel component. The best catalyst, IL-H-Beta-25, yielded at BMF selectivity of 76 % corresponding to a HMF conversion of 46 %.
KeywordsEtherification HMF Ionic liquids SILCA
This work is part of the activities at the Åbo Akademi Process Chemistry Centre within the Finnish Centre of Excellence Program (2000–2011) appointed by the Academy of Finland. The Academy of Finland is gratefully acknowledged for financial support. In Sweden, the Bio4Energy Programme and Kempe Foundations are acknowledged. The Cost action CM0903 (UbioChem) is also acknowledged.
- 3.Gruter GJM (2012) US Patent, US20100218416A1Google Scholar
- 4.Mun J, Sim H (2012) Handbook of ionic liquids. Nova Science Publishers Inc., New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Sheldon R (2001) Chem Commun 2399Google Scholar
- 7.Gordon CM (2001) Appl Catal 222:201Google Scholar
- 9.Mehnert CP, Mozeleski EJ, Cook RA (2002) Chem Commun 3010Google Scholar
- 15.Mallick B (2009) Ionische Flüssigkeiten auf Basis von komplexen Übergangsmetallhalogeniden. PhD Thesis, University of CologneGoogle Scholar