Free Convection in a Square Cavity Filled with a Porous Medium Saturated by Nanofluid Using Tiwari and Das’ Nanofluid Model
- 743 Downloads
Free convection in a square differentially heated porous cavity filled with a nanofluid is numerically investigated. The mathematical model has been formulated in dimensionless stream function and temperature taking into account the Darcy–Boussinesq approximation. The Tiwari and Das’ nanofluid model with new more realistic empirical correlations for the physical properties of the nanofluids has been used for numerical analysis. The governing equations have been solved numerically on the basis of a second-order accurate finite difference method. The developed algorithm has been validated by direct comparisons with previously published papers and the results have been found to be in good agreement. The results have been presented in terms of the streamlines, isotherms, local, and average Nusselt numbers at left vertical wall at a wide range of key parameters.
KeywordsFree convection Square cavity Porous media Nanofluids Numerical method
This work of M.A. Sheremet was conducted as a government task of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Project Number 13.1919.2014/K.
- Abu-Nada, E., Oztop, H.F.: Effects of inclination angle on natural convection in enclosures filled with Cu-water nanofluid. Int. J. Heat Fluid Flow 30, 669–678 (2009)Google Scholar
- Choi, S.U.S.: Enhancing thermal conductivity of fluids with nanoparticles. In: Proceedings of the 1995 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, San Francisco, USA. ASME, FED 231/MD, vol. 66, pp. 99–105 (1995)Google Scholar
- Gross, R., Bear, M.R., Hickox, C.E.: The application of flux-corrected transport (FCT) to high Rayleigh number natural convection in a porous medium. In: Proceedings 7th Int. Heat Transfer Conference, San Francisco (1986)Google Scholar
- Ingham, D.B., Pop, I. (eds.): Transport Phenomena in Porous Media III. Elsevier, Oxford (2005)Google Scholar
- Manole, D.M., Lage, J.L.: Numerical benchmark results for natural convection in a porous medium cavity. Heat Mass Transf. Porous Media 105, 44–59 (1992)Google Scholar
- Ögüt, E.B.: Heat transfer of water-based nanofluids with natural convection in an inclined square enclosure. J. Therm. Sci. Technol. 30, 23–33 (2010)Google Scholar
- Pop, I., Ingham, D.B.: Convective Heat Transfer: Mathematical and Computational Modeling of Viscous Fluids and Porous Media. Pergamon, Oxford (2001)Google Scholar
- Vadasz, P. (ed.): Emerging Topics in Heat and Mass Transfer in Porous Media. Springer, Berlin (2008)Google Scholar
- Vafai, K. (ed.): Handbook of Porous Media, 2nd edn. Taylor & Francis, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- Wong, K.V., Leon, O.D.: Applications of nanofluids: current and future. Adv. Mech. Eng. Article ID 519659 (2010), 11 pages, doi: 10.1155/2010/519659