Quantifying the Representative Size in Porous Media
- 511 Downloads
We present a new approach to quantify the representative quality of pore-scale samples of porous media. It is shown that the flow field uniformity serves as a reliable criterion to decide if the computed flow properties are representative at larger sample sizes. The proposed approach is computationally inexpensive and requires minimal effort to implement. We rely on the correlation matrix of flow field to quantify the representative quality of the computed flow properties at the pore scale. Using this approach, we have been able to study several pore-networks and a high-resolution image of a sandstone, and quickly answer if the computed flow properties from these pore-networks/images are representative of the actual media.
KeywordsPorous media Pore-scale modeling REV Network modeling Direct pore-scale modeling
This research was partly supported by the financial support from the Center for Frontiers of Subsurface Energy Security (CFSES) at The University of Texas at Austin under U.S. Department of Energy contract DE-SC0001114. Professor Martin J. Blunt from Imperial College and Hu Dong from iRock Technologies are gratefully thanked for sharing their network and micro-CT data with us.
- Bear, J.: Dynamics of Fluids in Porous Media. Courier Dover, New York (1972)Google Scholar
- Fredrich, J.T., DiGiovanni, A.A., Noble, D.R.: Predicting macroscopic transport properties using microscopic image data. J. Geophys. Res. 11(B03), 201 (2006)Google Scholar
- Gelhar, L.W.: Stochastic Subsurface Hydrolog. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1993)Google Scholar
- Klov. T., Oren, P.E., Stensen, J.A., Lerdahl, T.R., Berge, L.I., Bakke, S., Boassen, T., Virnovsky, G.: Pore-to-field scale modeling of wag. SPE 84549 (2003)Google Scholar
- Lindquist, W.B., Venkatarangan, A.: Investigating 3d geometry of porous media from high resolution images. Phys. Chem. Earth 24, 639–644 (1999)Google Scholar
- Norris, R.J., Lewis, J.J.M.: The geological modeling of effective permeability in complex heterolithic facies. SPE 22692, 359–374 (1991)Google Scholar
- Ovaysi, S.: Direct pore-level modeling of fluids flow in porous media. Ph.D. thesis, University of Wyoming (2010)Google Scholar
- Rustad, A.B., Theting, T.G., Held, R.J.: Pore scale estimation, up scaling and uncertainty modeling for multiphase properties. SPE 113005 (2008)Google Scholar
- Siena, M., Riva, M., Hyman, J.D., Winter, C.L., Guadagnini, A.: Relationship between pore size and velocity probability distributions in stochastically generated porous media. Phys. Rev. E 89(013), 018 (2014)Google Scholar