Correspondence article: a correction of the reduction-based schedulability analysis for APA scheduling
- 131 Downloads
Multiprocessor real-time operating systems such as VxWorks, LynxOS, QNX, and real-time variants of Linux allow each task to have an arbitrary processor affinity (APA), which is the set of processors on which the task is allowed to execute. Gujarati et al. (2013, 2015a) developed two schedulability analyses for hard real-time tasks subject to such APA constraints: a reduction-based approach, first presented at ECRTS 2013 (Gujarati et al. 2013), and an approach based on linear programming (LP), which was introduced in this journal (Gujarati et al. 2015a) alongside a discussion of the earlier reduction-based technique. Unfortunately, the reduction-based technique was later found to be partially flawed (Gujarati et al. 2015b).
This letter serves to document the flaw (along with illustrative counterexamples) and to correct the reduction-based approach presented by Gujarati et al. (2015a). To avoid further errors, the corrected claims have been formally verified with Prosa...
- Baruah S, Brandenburg BB (2013) Multiprocessor feasibility analysis of recurrent task systems with specified processor affinities. In: 34th IEEE international real-time systems symposium (RTSS’13)Google Scholar
- Bertogna M, Cirinei M (2007) Response-time analysis for globally scheduled symmetric multiprocessor platforms. In: 28th IEEE international real-time systems symposium (RTSS’07)Google Scholar
- Bonifaci V, Brandenburg BB, DAngelo G, Marchetti-Spaccamela A (2016) Multiprocessor real-time scheduling with hierarchical processor affinities. In: 28th Euromicro conference on real-time systems (ECRTS’16)Google Scholar
- Cerqueira F, Gujarati A, Brandenburg BB (2014) Linux’s processor affinity API, refined: shifting real-time tasks towards higher schedulability. In: 35th IEEE international real-time systems symposium (RTSS’14)Google Scholar
- Cerqueira F, Stutz F, Brandenburg BB (2016a) Prosa: a case for readable mechanized schedulability analysis. In: 28th Euromicro conference on real-time systems (ECRTS’16)Google Scholar
- Cerqueira F, Stutz F, Brandenburg BB (2016b) Prosa: mechanized proofs of reduction-based APA schedulability analysis. http://prosa.mpi-sws.org/releases/v0.2/apa/
- Gujarati A, Cerqueira F, Brandenburg BB (2013) Schedulability analysis of the Linux push and pull scheduler with arbitrary processor affinities. In: 25th Euromicro conference on real-time systems (ECRTS’13)Google Scholar
- Gujarati A, Cerqueira F, Brandenburg BB (2015b) Revised version: schedulability analysis of the Linux push and pull scheduler with arbitrary processor affinities, revision 1. https://www.mpi-sws.org/~bbb/papers/
- Lynx Software Technologies (2018) LynxOS RTOS. http://www.lynx.com/products/real-time-operating-systems/lynxos-rtos/
- QNX Software Systems (2010) Processor affinity or bound multiprocessing? Easing the migration to embedded multicore processing. http://www.qnx.com/content/dam/qnx/whitepapers/2010/qnx_bmp_vs_processor_affinity.pdf
- Wind River Systems, Inc (2014) Wind River VxWorks Platforms 6.9. https://www.windriver.com/products/product-notes/PN_VE_6_9_Platform_0311.pdf