Isolation of two novel promoters from ramie (Boehmeria nivea L. Gaudich) and its functional characterization in Arabidopsis thaliana
- 16 Downloads
The development of tissue-specific or inducible promoters is important for plant genetic engineering. In this study, we isolated two novel promoters (named BnGDSpro and BnSTMpro) from ramie and analyzed their functions in Arabidopsis. The results show that BnGDSpro and its 5′-truncated fragments drive GUS dominantly expressed in shoot meristem while BnSTMpro and its 5′-truncated fragments have apical meristem specificity in Arabidopsis seedlings and nodule specificity in the flowers and siliques. The − 1233 to − 914 region and − 425 to 0 region of BnSTMpro are responsible for apical root specificity and root-knot specificity, respectively. In particular, CuSO4 treatment reveals that both BnGDSpro and BnSTMpro are copper-inducible promoters. Our findings suggest that BnGDSpro and BnSTMpro and their truncated fragments have potential applications in plant genetic transformation.
KeywordsRamie Promoter Cis-acting element Abiotic stress
This study was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (31671736).
DP and PG designed the research project. PG performed the research and wrote the paper. PG and YZ performed Arabidopsis genetic transformation and GUS fluorometric assays. PG and JC isolated the regions of the two promoters. PG and EF provided experimental materials for RNA extraction. BW and LL revised manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- An X, Chen J, Zhang J, Liao Y, Dai L, Wang B, Liu L, Peng D (2015) Transcriptome profiling and identification of transcription factors in ramie (Boehmeria nivea L. Gaud) in response to PEG treatment, using illumina paired-end sequencing technology. Int J Mol Sci 16:3493–3511. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms16023493 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Arimura GI, Huber DPW, Bohlmann J (2004) Forest tent caterpillars (Malacosoma disstria) induce local and systemic diurnal emissions of terpenoid volatiles in hybrid poplar (Populus trichocarpa × deltoides): cDNA cloning, functional characterization, and patterns of gene expression of (−)-germacrene D synthase, PtdTPS1. Plant J 37:603–616. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-313X.2003.01987.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Groot EP, Sinha N, Gleissberg S (2005) Expression patterns of STM-like KNOX and Histone H4 genes in shoot development of the dissected-leaved basal eudicot plants Chelidonium majus and Eschscholzia californica (Papaveraceae). Plant Mol Biol 58:317–331. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11103-005-4548-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jefferson RA, Kavanagh TA, Bevan MW (1987) GUS fusions: beta-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO J 6:3901–3907. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1460-2075.1987.tb02730.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kasuga M, Miura S, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K (2004) A combination of the Arabidopsis DREB1A gene and stress-inducible rd29A promoter improved drought-and low-temperature stress tolerance in tobacco by gene transfer. Plant Cell Physiol 45:346–350. https://doi.org/10.1093/pcp/pch037 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lee JT, Prasad VYang PT, Wu JF, Thd H, Charng YY, Chan MT (2003) Expression of Arabidopsis CBF1 regulated by an ABA/stress inducible promoter in transgenic tomato confers stress tolerance without affecting yield. Plant Cell Environment 26:1181–1190. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3040.2003.01048.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu C, Zeng L, Zhu S, Wu L, Wang Y, Tang S, Wang H, Zheng X, Zhao J, Chen X (2018) Draft genome analysis provides insights into the fiber yield, crude protein biosynthesis, and vegetative growth of domesticated ramie (Boehmeria nivea L. Gaud). DNA Res 25:173–181. https://doi.org/10.1093/dnares/dsx047 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lü S, Gu H, Yuan X, Wang X, Wu AM, Qu L, Liu JY (2007) The GUS reporter-aided analysis of the promoter activities of a rice metallothionein gene reveals different regulatory regions responsible for tissue-specific and inducible expression in transgenic Arabidopsis. Transgenic Res 16:177–191. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11248-006-9035-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lücker J, Bowen P, Bohlmann J (2004) Vitis vinifera terpenoid cyclases: functional identification of two sesquiterpene synthase cDNAs encoding (+)-valencene synthase and (−)-germacrene D synthase and expression of mono- and sesquiterpene synthases in grapevine flowers and berries. Phytochemistry 65:2649–2659. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytochem.2004.08.017 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nguyen VP, Cho JS, Lee JH, Kim MH, Choi YI, Park EJ, Kim WC, Hwang S, Han KH, Ko JH (2017) Identification and functional analysis of a promoter sequence for phloem tissue specific gene expression from Populus trichocarpa. J Plant Biol 60:129–136. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12374-016-0904-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ochman H, Gerber AS, Hartl DL (1988) Genetic applications of an inverse polymerase chain reaction. Genetics 120:621–623Google Scholar
- Pino MT, Skinner JS, Park EJ, Jeknić Z, Hayes PM, Thomashow MF, Chen TH (2007) Use of a stress inducible promoter to drive ectopic AtCBF expression improves potato freezing tolerance while minimizing negative effects on tuber yield. Plant Biotechnol J 5:591–604. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-7652.2007.00269.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Prosser I, Altug IG, Phillips AL, König WA, Bouwmeester HJ, Beale MH (2004) Enantiospecific (+)- and (−)-germacrene D synthases, cloned from goldenrod, reveal a functionally active variant of the universal isoprenoid-biosynthesis aspartate-rich motif. Arch Biochem Biophys 432:136–144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.abb.2004.06.030 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Saad RB, Romdhan WB, Zouari N, Azaza J, Mieulet D, Verdeil JL, Guiderdoni E, Hassairi A (2011) Promoter of the AlSAP gene from the halophyte grass Aeluropus littoralis directs developmental-regulated, stress-inducible, and organ-specific gene expression in transgenic tobacco. Transgenic Res 20:1003–1018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11248-010-9474-6 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yin Y, Chen L, Beachy R (1997) Promoter elements required for phloem-specific gene expression from the RTBV promoter in rice. Plant J 12:1179–1188. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-313X.1997.12051179.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar