Production of bakuchiol by in vitro systems of Psoralea drupacea Bge
- 243 Downloads
In vitro production of the meroterpene bakuchiol by Psoralea drupacea Bge (Fabaceae) has been studied using aseptically-grown plants, callus cultures of different origin, cell suspensions and transgenic hairy root cultures. The effect of phytohormones and methyl jasmonate on bakuchiol production was also investigated. Bakuchiol was not detected in cell suspensions or hairy root preparations of P. drupacea. In contrast, aerial parts of P. drupacea grown in vitro were found to accumulate up to 11% dry weight of bakuchiol and can therefore be regarded as a potentially useful source of this antimicrobial compound.
KeywordsBakuchiol Psoralea Psoralea drupacea In vitro cultures Antimicrobial Secondary metabolite
High-performance liquid chromatography
Minimum inhibitory concentration
Murashige and Skoog medium
This work is part of the project “Establishment and Application of Cell Cultures—Producers of Plant Antimicrobial and Antifungal Substances” (0107U004770) supported by the National Academy of Science of Ukraine.
- Bondarenko A, Aizenman B, Zatula D, Bakina L, Kozhina I, Prykhodko V, Silina O, Meshcheryakov A (1977) Psoralea drupacea as a promising source of the antibiotic bakuchiol. Rastit Res 13:460–463Google Scholar
- Danilevsky N, Smirnov V, Prykhodko V, Kosovich T (1985) Sensibility of aerobic microflora of the oral cavity to antibiotic bakuchiol. Stomatology 20:9–12Google Scholar
- Prykhodko V, Bondarenko A (1979) Study of the antimicrobial properties of bakuchiol in in vitro experiments. Mikrobiol Zh (Kiev) 41:400–403Google Scholar
- Prykhodko V, Bondarenko A, Mishenkova E (1980) Antimicrobial activity and toxicity of the antibiotic bakuchiol. Mikrobiol Zh (Kiev) 42:646–650Google Scholar
- Prykhodko V, Zhmurko L, Bobyr A, Meshcheryakov A (1982) Bakuchiol activity against tobacco mosaic virus. Mikrobiol Zh (Kiev) 44:73–74Google Scholar
- Prykhodko V, Kosovich T, Danilevsky N (1984) A study on the possible use of the antibiotic bakuchiol in stomatology. In: VI Congress of the Ukrainian Microbiological Society (Donetsk, June 1984), Part 2, p 151Google Scholar