ADAMTS13 activity is associated with early neurological improvement in acute ischemic stroke patients treated with intravenous thrombolysis
Although intravenous thrombolysis (IVT) with recombinant tissue-plasminogen-activator represents a highly effective treatment in acute ischemic stroke patients, not every patient benefits. We hypothesized that pretreatment levels of mediators of hemostasis (VWF and ADAMTS13) and dimethylarginines (ADMA and SDMA) are associated with early neurological improvement and outcome after IVT in ischemic stroke. Moreover we aimed to investigate the link between ADAMTS13 and markers of inflammation (CRP, IL-6, MMP-9 and MCP-1). In 43 patients with acute ischemic stroke treated with IVT blood samples for determination of the different markers were strictly taken before treatment, as well as at 24 h, 3, 7 and 90 days after symptom onset. Early neurological improvement was assessed using the shift between National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) at baseline and at 24 h. Outcome at 90 days was assessed using the modified Rankin Scale. The lowest quartile of ADAMTS13 activity was independently associated with less improvement in NIHSS (baseline-24 h) (OR 1.298, p = 0.050). No independent association of ADMA or SDMA levels at baseline with outcome could be shown. Furthermore, IL-6, MCP-1 and CRP levels at 90 days significantly differed between patients with low and high ADAMTS13 activity. Thus, ADAMTS13 might indicate or even influence efficacy of IVT.
KeywordsADAMTS13 VWF Intravenous thrombolysis Stroke ADMA SDMA
Conceptualization: HW, KW and RS; methodology RL; validation HW, FG and RS; formal analysis A-SP, HW, GMG and RS; investigation: A-SP, HW, GMG, FG, MD, JTK, JM-L, SMB-B, UB and RS; data curation: A-SP, HW and RS; writing—original draft preparation, A-SP, HW and RS; writing—review and editing, GMG, FG, JM-L, MD, SMB-B and KW visualization, A-SP and RS; supervision, HW, GMG, KW and RS.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interests
The authors have no disclosures.
- 1.IST-3 Collaborative Group, Sandercock P, Wardlaw JM, Lindley RI, Dennis M, Cohen G, Murray G, Innes K, Venables G, Czlonkowska A, Kobayashi A, Ricci S, Murray V, Berge E, Slot KB, Hankey GJ, Correia M, Peeters A, Matz K, Lyrer P, Gubitz G, Phillips SJ, Arauz A (2012) The benefits and harms of intravenous thrombolysis with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator within 6 h of acute ischaemic stroke (the third international stroke trial [IST-3]): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 379:2352–2363CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Schuppner R, Dirks M, Grosse GM, Bockmann M, Goetz F, Pasedag T, Bode-Boger SM, Martens-Lobenhoffer J, Budde U, Lanfermann H, Lichtinghagen R, Weissenborn K, Worthmann H (2018) ADAMTS-13 activity predicts outcome in acute ischaemic stroke patients undergoing endovascular treatment. Thromb Haemost 118:758–767PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Iglesias-Rey R, Rodriguez-Yanez M, Rodriguez-Castro E, Pumar JM, Arias S, Santamaria M, Lopez-Dequidt I, Hervella P, Correa-Paz C, Sobrino T, Vivien D, Campos F, Castellanos M, Castillo J (2018) Worse outcome in stroke patients treated with rt-PA without early reperfusion: associated factors. Transl Stroke Res 9:347–355CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Fiorelli M, Bastianello S, von Kummer R, del Zoppo GJ, Larrue V, Lesaffre E, Ringleb AP, Lorenzano S, Manelfe C, Bozzao L (1999) Hemorrhagic transformation within 36 hours of a cerebral infarct: relationships with early clinical deterioration and 3-month outcome in the European Cooperative Acute Stroke Study I (ECASS I) cohort. Stroke 30:2280–2284CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Martens-Lobenhoffer J, Bode-Boger SM (2012) Quantification of l-arginine, asymmetric dimethylarginine and symmetric dimethylarginine in human plasma: a step improvement in precision by stable isotope dilution mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 904:140–143CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Denorme F, Langhauser F, Desender L, Vandenbulcke A, Rottensteiner H, Plaimauer B, Francois O, Andersson T, Deckmyn H, Scheiflinger F, Kleinschnitz C, Vanhoorelbeke K, De Meyer SF (2016) ADAMTS13-mediated thrombolysis of t-PA-resistant occlusions in ischemic stroke in mice. Blood 127:2337–2345CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Worthmann H, Martens-Lobenhoffer J, Joumaah M, Li N, Lichtinghagen R, Hecker H, Kielstein JT, Ehrenreich H, Bode-Boger SM, Weissenborn K (2013) Asymmetric dimethylarginine in response to recombinant tissue-type plasminogen activator and erythropoietin in acute stroke. Stroke 44:2128–2133CrossRefGoogle Scholar