Oral factor Xa inhibitors for the treatment of left ventricular thrombus: a case series
- 630 Downloads
Left ventricular thrombus (LVT) formation usually necessitates short term anticoagulation for thrombus resolution and to prevent embolic events. Historically, vitamin K antagonist therapy has been the treatment of choice. However, with the advent of direct acting anticoagulants, their role in the management of LVT is not clear. Patients were included if they had received rivaroxaban or apixaban for more than 1 day for LVT documented on imaging. The primary objective was resolution of LVT at 3 months based on assessment by an independent cardiologist review of initial and subsequent imaging results. The principle safety objective was to assess major or clinically relevant non-major bleeding using GUSTO, TIMI, and BARC bleeding criteria. During the 2-year study period seven patients were treated with rivaroxaban and three with apixaban. Two patients who had received apixaban and one on rivaroxaban were lost to follow up. In those with an initial and follow-up ECHO (n = 6) the median time to follow up imaging was 214 (IQR 33–414) days and complete LVT resolution was observed in 83% of patients. One patient on rivaroxaban had a bleeding events that was minimal (TIMI), Type 2 (BARC), or classified as mild (GUSTO) due to pulmonary hemorrhage. In those deemed not to be a candidate for vitamin K antagonist the use of rivaroxaban or apixaban may be a considered in the treatment of LVT. Further research in this area is needed to assess the efficacy and safety of using FXAI for treatment of LVT.
KeywordsApixaban Factor Xa inhibitors Left ventricle Rivaroxaban Thrombosis
No funding was obtained for the conduction of this study.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors of this study have no direct or indirect conflicts of interest to disclose.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
- 2.Solheim S, Seljeflot I, Lunde K, Bjornerheim R, Aakhus S, Forfang K, Arnesen H (2010) Frequency of left ventricular thrombus in patients with anterior wall acute myocardial infarction treated with percutaneous coronary intervention and dual antiplatelet therapy. Am J Cardiol 106:1197–1200. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2010.06.043 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Guyatt GH, Akl EA, Crowther M, Gutterman DD, Schuunemann HJ, American College of Chest Physicians Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis Panel (2012) Executive summary: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 141:7S–47S. doi: 10.1378/chest.1412S3 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 5.O’Gara PT, Kushner FG, Ascheim DD, Casey DE, Chung MK, de Lemos JA, Ettinger SM, Fang JC, Fesmire FM, Franklin BA, Granger CB, Krumholz HM, Linderbaum JA, Morrow DA, Newby LK, Ornato JP, Ou N, Radford MJ, Tamis-Holland JE, Tommaso CL, Tracy CM, Woo YJ, Zhao DX (2013) 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of ST-elevation myocardial infarction: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 61:e78–e140. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2012.11.019 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Task Force on the Management of ST-Segment Elevation Acute Myocardial Infarction of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC), Steg PG, James SK, Atar D, Badano LP, Blomstrom-Lundqvist C, Borger MA, Di Mario C, Dickstein K, Ducrocq G, Fernandez-Aviles F, Gershlick AH, Giannuzzi P, Halvorsen S, Huber K, Juni P, Kastrati A, Knuuti J, Lenzen MJ, Mahaffey KW, Valgimigli M, van ‘t Hof A, Widimsky P, Zahger D (2012) ESC guidelines for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation. Eur Heart J 33:2569–2619. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehs215 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Pokorney SD, Simon DN, Thomas L, Fonarow GC, Kowey PR, Chang P, Singer DE, Ansell J, Blanco RG, Gersh B, Mahaffey KW, Hylek EM, Go AS, Piccini JP, Peterson ED, Outcomes Registry for Better Informed Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation (ORBIT-AF) Investigators (2015) Patients’ time in therapeutic range on warfarin among US patients with atrial fibrillation: results from ORBIT-AF registry. Am Heart J 170:141–148.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.ahj.2015.03.017 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Gheorghiade M, Thyssen A, Zolynas R, Nadar VK, Greenberg BH, Mehra M, Sun X, Tian H, Plotnikov AN, Burton P (2011) Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of rivaroxaban and its effect on biomarkers of hypercoagulability in patients with chronic heart failure. J Heart Lung Transplant 30:218–226. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2010.08.027 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Becker RC, Alexander JH, Newby LK, Yang H, Barrett Y, Mohan P, Wang J, Harrington RA, Wallentin LC (2010) Effect of apixaban, an oral and direct factor Xa inhibitor, on coagulation activity biomarkers following acute coronary syndrome. Thromb Haemost 104:976–983. doi: 10.1160/TH10-04-0247 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.EINSTEIN Investigators, Bauersachs R, Berkowitz SD, Brenner B, Buller HR, Decousus H, Gallus AS, Lensing AW, Misselwitz F, Prins MH, Raskob GE, Segers A, Verhamme P, Wells P, Agnelli G, Bounameaux H, Cohen A, Davidson BL, Piovella F, Schellong S (2010) Oral rivaroxaban for symptomatic venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med 363:2499–2510. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1007903 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Patel MR, Mahaffey KW, Garg J, Pan G, Singer DE, Hacke W, Breithardt G, Halperin JL, Hankey GJ, Piccini JP, Becker RC, Nessel CC, Paolini JF, Berkowitz SD, Fox KA, Califf RM, ROCKET AF Investigators (2011) Rivaroxaban versus warfarin in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 365:883–891. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1009638 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Granger CB, Alexander JH, McMurray JJ, Lopes RD, Hylek EM, Hanna M, Al-Khalidi HR, Ansell J, Atar D, Avezum A, Bahit MC, Diaz R, Easton JD, Ezekowitz JA, Flaker G, Garcia D, Geraldes M, Gersh BJ, Golitsyn S, Goto S, Hermosillo AG, Hohnloser SH, Horowitz J, Mohan P, Jansky P, Lewis BS, Lopez-Sendon JL, Pais P, Parkhomenko A, Verheugt FW, Zhu J, Wallentin L, ARISTOTLE Committees and Investigators (2011) Apixaban versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 365:981–992. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1107039 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Lip GY, Hammerstingl C, Marin F, Cappato R, Meng IL, Kirsch B, van Eickels M, Cohen A, X-TRA Study and CLOT-AF Registry Investigators (2016) Left atrial thrombus resolution in atrial fibrillation or flutter: results of a prospective study with rivaroxaban (X-TRA) and a retrospective observational registry providing baseline data (CLOT-AF). Am Heart J 178:126–134. doi: 10.1016/j.ahj.2016.05.007 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Wyrembak J, Campbell KB, Steinberg BA, Bahnson TD, Daubert JP, Velazquez EJ, Samad Z, Atwater BD (2017) Incidence and predictors of left atrial appendage thrombus in patients treated with nonvitamin K oral anticoagulants versus warfarin before catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation. Am J Cardiol 119:1017–1022. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2016.12.008 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Mehran R, Rao SV, Bhatt DL, Gibson CM, Caixeta A, Eikelboom J, Kaul S, Wiviott SD, Menon V, Nikolsky E, Serebruany V, Valgimigli M, Vranckx P, Taggart D, Sabik JF, Cutlip DE, Krucoff MW, Ohman EM, Steg PG, White H (2011) Standardized bleeding definitions for cardiovascular clinical trials: a consensus report from the Bleeding Academic Research Consortium. Circulation 123:2736–2747. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.110.009449 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Ruff CT, Giugliano RP, Braunwald E, Hoffman EB, Deenadayalu N, Ezekowitz MD, Camm AJ, Weitz JI, Lewis BS, Parkhomenko A, Yamashita T, Antman EM (2014) Comparison of the efficacy and safety of new oral anticoagulants with warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis of randomised trials. Lancet 383:955–962. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62343-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Pollack CV Jr, Reilly PA, Eikelboom J, Glund S, Verhamme P, Bernstein RA, Dubiel R, Huisman MV, Hylek EM, Kamphuisen PW, Kreuzer J, Levy JH, Sellke FW, Stangier J, Steiner T, Wang B, Kam CW, Weitz JI (2015) Idarucizumab for dabigatran reversal. N Engl J Med 373:511–520. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1502000 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Connolly SJ, Ezekowitz MD, Yusuf S, Eikelboom J, Oldgren J, Parekh A, Pogue J, Reilly PA, Themeles E, Varrone J, Wang S, Alings M, Xavier D, Zhu J, Diaz R, Lewis BS, Darius H, Diener HC, Joyner CD, Wallentin L, RE-LY Steering Committee and Investigators (2009) Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 361:1139–1151. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa0905561 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Gibson CM, Mehran R, Bode C, Halperin J, Verheugt FW, Wildgoose P, Birmingham M, Ianus J, Burton P, van Eickels M, Korjian S, Daaboul Y, Lip GY, Cohen M, Husted S, Peterson ED, Fox KA (2016) Prevention of bleeding in patients with atrial fibrillation undergoing PCI. N Engl J Med 375:2423–2434. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1611594 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Nakasuka K, Ito S, Noda T, Hasuo T, Sekimoto S, Ohmori H, Inomata M, Yoshida T, Tamai N, Saeki T, Suzuki S, Murakami Y, Sato K (2014) Resolution of left ventricular thrombus secondary to tachycardia-induced heart failure with rivaroxaban. Case Rep Med 2014:814524. doi: 10.1155/2014/814524 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar