Performance analysis of downlink and uplink decoupled access in clustered heterogeneous cellular networks
- 39 Downloads
The performance of heterogeneous cellular networks (HCNs) is typically analyzed with the assumption that the users connect with the same base station in uplink and downlink. However, recent investigations have shown that downlink–uplink decoupling (DUDe) can provide network performance gains relative to the conventional coupled access. Many authors have evaluated HCN performance while assuming that the network users are distributed according to a homogeneous Poisson point process (HPPP). However, the HPPP cannot accurately model the uplink interference when the users are clustered in urban hotspots such as shopping malls and sports stadiums. This work investigates DUDe access for an HCN with user-clustering modeled by the Matern cluster process. We derive analytical expressions of the coverage probability and average throughput for DUDe access as well as the conventional coupled access. The results show that DUDe outperforms the coupled access scheme in terms of coverage and throughput. The user-clustering is also shown to benefit the coverage and throughput performance relative to the case of HPPP distributed users. The derived results are validated by Monte Carlo simulations.
KeywordsHeterogeneous cellular networks Stochastic geometry Downlink–uplink decoupling Matern cluster process Coverage probability
This work is supported by the EU-funded Project ATOM-690750, approved under call H2020-MSCA-RISE-2015.
- 7.Smiljkovikj, K., Elshaer, H., Popovski, P., Boccardi, F., Dohler, M., Gavrilovska, L., & Irmer, R. (2014). Capacity analysis of decoupled downlink and uplink access in 5G heterogeneous systems. arXiv preprint arXiv:1410.7270.
- 9.Smiljkovikj, K., Gavrilovska, L., & Popovski, P. (2015). Efficiency analysis of downlink and uplink decoupling in heterogeneous networks. In IEEE communication workshop (ICCW) (pp. 125–130).Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang, L., Feng, G., Nie, W., & Qin, S. (2015). A comparison study of coupled and decoupled uplink–downlink access in heterogeneous cellular networks. In Global communications conference (GLOBECOM) (pp. 1–7).Google Scholar
- 12.Andrews, J. G., Gupta, A. K., & Dhillon, H. S. (2016). A primer on cellular network analysis using stochastic geometry. arXiv preprint arXiv:1604.03183.
- 17.Saha, C., Afshang, M., & Dhillon, H. S. (2017). Poisson cluster process: Bridging the gap between PPP and 3GPP HetNet models. In Information theory and applications workshop (ITA) (pp. 1–9).Google Scholar
- 19.Chun, Y. J., & Hasna, M. O. (2014). Analysis of heterogeneous cellular networks interference with biased cell association using Poisson cluster processes. In 2014 International conference on information and communication technology convergence (ICTC) (pp. 319–324).Google Scholar
- 25.Andrews, L. C., & Andrews, L. C. (1992). Special functions of mathematics for engineers. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar