Efficient handover with optimized localized routing for Proxy Mobile IPv6
- 252 Downloads
Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6) has been designed by the IETF as a network-based mobility management protocol to support the localized mobility of IP devices. Although several proposals have been made for localized routing optimization, they don’t take into account handover management and localized routing simultaneously. In fact, the localized routing state is restored after the handover management procedure, leading to packet loss and signaling overhead. On the other hand, Fast Handovers for PMIPv6 (F-PMIPv6) protocol has been designed to mainly solve the issues of the high handover delay and packet loss during handover that occur with PMIPv6. As a result, this paper looks at enhancing F-PMIPv6 by controlling the handover management with optimized localized routing and proposes an extension of PMIPv6 called optimized PMIPv6. The proposed protocol enhances the performance of PMIPv6 and F-PMIPv6 in terms of route optimization, handover delay, signaling cost and network utilization.
KeywordsRoute optimization Localized routing Handover Service continuity PMIPv6 F-PMIPv6
- 1.Choi, H. Proxy Mobile IPv6 in NS-2.29, Aug 2009. http://commani.net/pmip6ns.
- 2.Choi, Y., & Chung, T. (2009). Enhanced light weight route optimization in Proxy Mobile IPv6. In Fifth international joint conference on INC, IMS and IDC (pp. 501–504).Google Scholar
- 3.Gundavelli, S, Leung, K., Devarapalli, V., Chowdhury, K., & Patil, B. (2008). Proxy Mobile IPv6. IETF RFC 5213.Google Scholar
- 4.Han, B., Lee, J., Lee, J., & Chung, T. (2008). PMIPv6 route optimization mechanism using the routing table of MAG. In Third international conference on systems and networks communications (pp. 274–279).Google Scholar
- 5.Han, B.-J., Lee, J.-M., Lee, J.-H., & Chung, T.-M. (2008). PMIPv6 route optimization mechanism using the routing table of MAG. In 3rd international conference on systems and networks communications (pp. 274–279).Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, S., Lee, J., Chung, T. (2009). Performance analysis of fast handover schemes for proxy mobile IPv6. In The fourth international conference on systems and networks communications (pp. 37–48).Google Scholar
- 7.Koodli, R. (2009). Fast Handovers for Mobile IPv6. IETF RFC 5568, July 2009.Google Scholar
- 8.Krishnan, S., Koodli, R., Loureiro, P., Wu, Q., & Dutta, A. (2012). Localized Routing for Proxy Mobile IPv6 .IETF RFC 6705.Google Scholar
- 11.Lee, J., & Park, J. (2008). Fast Handover for Proxy Mobile IPv6 based on 802.11 Networks. In IEEE 10th international conference on advanced communication technology (pp. 1051–1054).Google Scholar
- 13.Lee Sri, J., & Chung, T. (2009). A performance analysis on route optimization for Proxy Mobile IPv6. In IEEE international conference on communications (ICC) (pp. 1–6).Google Scholar
- 14.Lei, J., & Fu, X. (2008). Evaluating the benefits of introducing PMIPv6 for localized mobility management. In Wireless communications and mobile computing conference (pp. 74–80).Google Scholar
- 15.Li, Y., Su, H., Su, L., Jin, D., & Zeng, L. (2009). A comprehensive performance evaluation of PMIPv6 over IP-based cellular networks. In IEEE 69th vehicular technology conference (pp. 1–6).Google Scholar
- 16.Liebsch, M., Jeong, S., & Wu, Q. (2011). Proxy Mobile IPv6 localized routing problem statement. IETF RFC 6279.Google Scholar
- 17.Liu, Y., Xu, X., Ding, X., & Cui, Y. (2014). Localized routing optimization for multi-access mobile nodes in PMIPv6. In 23rd international conference on computer communication and networks (ICCCN) (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar
- 19.Modares, H., Moravejosharieh, A., Lloret, J., & Salleh, R. B. (2014). A survey on proxy mobile IPv6 handover. IEEE Systems Journal, 99, 1–10. PP.Google Scholar
- 20.National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). Mobility Extension for ns-2, Aug. 2009. http://www.nist.gov/itl/antd/emntg/ssm_tools.cfm.
- 21.ns-2. The network simulator, version 2.29, Nov. 2005. http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/.
- 22.Perkins, C. (2010). IP Mobility Support for IPv4. Revised. IETF RFC 5944 Nov. 2010Google Scholar
- 23.Perkins, C., Johnson, D., & Arkko, J. (2011). Mobility Support in IPv6. IETF RFC 6275, 2011.Google Scholar
- 24.Quoc, A. K., Kim, D.S., & Choo, H. (2014) A novel scheme for preventing out-of-order packets in fast handover for Proxy Mobile IPv6. In 2014 International conference on information networking (pp. 422–427).Google Scholar
- 25.Rasem, A., Makaya, C., & St-Hilaire, M. (2012) Efficient handover with route optimization in proxy mobile IPv6 domain. In 8th IEEE international conference on wireless and mobile computing, networking and communications (WiMob) (pp. 47–54).Google Scholar
- 26.Rasem, A., St-Hilaire, M., & Makaya, C. (2012). A comparative analysis of predictive and reactive mode of optimized PMIPv6. In 8th International wireless communications and mobile computing conference (IWCMC) (pp. 722–727).Google Scholar
- 27.Soliman, H. (2008). Hierarchical mobile IPv6 (HMIPv6) mobility management. IETF RFC 5380.Google Scholar
- 29.Yokota, H., Chowdhur, K., Koodli, R., Patil, B., & Xia, F. (2010). Fast Handovers for Proxy Mobile IPv6. IETF RFC 5949, 2010.Google Scholar
- 30.Zhang, Q., & Shan, Z. (2013). Using fast handover to quicken the re-establishment procedure of localized routing for Proxy Mobile IPv6. In 22nd Wireless and optical communication conference (WOCC) (pp. 349–354).Google Scholar