Analyzing influence of network topology on designing ISP-operated CDN
- 177 Downloads
The transmission bandwidth consumed by delivering rich content, such as movie files, is enormous, so it is urgent for ISPs to design an efficient delivery system minimizing the amount of network resources consumed. To serve users rich content economically and efficiently, an ISP itself should provide servers with huge storage capacities at a limited number of locations within its network. Therefore, we have investigated the content deployment method and the content delivery process that are desirable for this ISP-operated content delivery network (CDN). We have also proposed an optimum cache server allocation method for an ISP-operated CDN. In this paper, we investigate the properties of the topological locations of nodes at which cache placement is effective using 31 network topologies of actual ISPs. We also classify the 31 networks into two types and evaluate the optimum cache count in each network type.
KeywordsRich content CDN ISP Topology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akamai Technologies (2011). http://www.akamai.com.
- 2.AT&T web site (2011). http://www.att.com.
- 3.CAIDA (2010). http://www.caida.org/tools/visualization/mapnet/Data/.
- 4.Cho, K., Fukuda, K., Esaki, H., & Kato, A. (2007). The impact and implications of the growth in residential user-to-user traffic. In ACM SIGCOMM 06, ACM SIGCOMM 07. Google Scholar
- 5.Cohen, B. (2003). Incentives build robustness in BitTorrent. In Economics of peer-to-peer systems. Google Scholar
- 6.Huang, C., Li, J., & Ross, K. (2007). Can Internet video-on-demand be profitable? In ACM SIGCOMM 07. Google Scholar
- 7.Kamiyama, N., Mori, T., Kawahara, R., Harada, S., Hasegawa, H. (2009). ISP-operated CDN. In Global Internet symposium IEEE. Google Scholar
- 8.Karagiannis, T., Rodriguez, P., & Papagiannaki, K. (2005). Should Internet service providers fear peer-assisted content distribution? In ACM IMC 05. Google Scholar
- 9.Limelight Networks (2010). http://www.limelightnetworks.com.
- 10.Su, A., Choffnes, D., Kuzmanovic, A., Bustamante, F. (2006). Drafting behind Akamai. In ACM SIGCOMM 06. Google Scholar
- 11.Xie, H., et al. (2008). P4P: provider portal for applications. In ACM SIGCOMM 08. Google Scholar
- 12.Xu, D., Kulkarni, S., Rosenberg, C., & Chai, H. (2006). Analysis of a CDN-P2P hybrid architecture for cost-effective streaming media distribution. In Multimedia Systems, 2006. Google Scholar
- 13.Yu, H., Zheng, D., Zhao, B., & Zheng, W. (2006). Understanding user behavior in large-scale video-on-demand systems. In ACM EuroSys 06. Google Scholar