Medium reservation based sensor MAC protocol for low latency and high energy efficiency
- 301 Downloads
In this paper, we present a new MAC protocol satisfying with both high energy efficiency and low transmission latency at the same time over wireless sensor network, named as medium reservation preamble based MAC (MRPM). Unlike other synchronized duty cycle MACs, MRPM does not have separate time frames for SYNC and data traffics. Both traffics are integrated in a short listen period. Also, the channel contention is excluded from listen period and transferred to new period called contention period. The contention period precedes the listen period, and only transmitters wake up in this contention period and contend for medium reservation, whereas non-transmitters bypass it. These approaches enable MRPM to achieve adaptive duty cycle and quite short listen period. Moreover, MRPM uses carrier sensing information for advanced adaptive listening which makes packets to travel multiple hops away in a single sleep/listen cycle. The simulation results verify that MRPM has features of high energy efficiency and low latency.
KeywordsEnergy efficiency Low latency Contention window MAC WSN
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ye, W., Heidemann, J., & Estrin, D. (2004). Medium access control with coordinated adaptive sleeping for wireless sensor networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (pp. 493-506). Google Scholar
- 2.Dam, T. V., & Langendoen, K. (2003). An adaptive energy efficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks. In Proc. of ACM SynSys ’03 (pp. 171–180). Google Scholar
- 3.Lin, P., Qiao, C., & Wang, X. (2004). Medium access control with a dynamic duty cycle for sensor networks. IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, 3, 1534–1539. Google Scholar
- 4.Suh, C., & Ko, Y. B. (2005). A traffic aware, energy efficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks. In Proc. of the IEEE international symposium on circuits and systems (ISCAS’05) (Vol. 3, pp. 2975–2978). Google Scholar
- 5.Suh, C., Shrestha, D. M., & Ko, Y. B. (2006). An energy-efficient MAC protocol for delay-sensitive wireless sensor networks. In Lecture notes in computer science (Vol. 4097, pp. 445–454). Google Scholar
- 6.Sthapit, P., Park, Y. T., & Pyun, J. Y. (2009). Medium reservation preamble based medium access control for wireless sensor network. In Proc. of IEEE vehicular technology conference (VTC), fall (Vol. 1, pp. 1–6). Google Scholar
- 7.Sthapit, P., Park, Y. T., & Pyun, J. Y. (2009). Medium reservation based MAC for delay-sensitive wireless sensor network. In Proc. of IEEE international conference on computer and information technology (CIT) (Vol. 2, pp. 122–127). Google Scholar
- 8.NS-2 website, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/.
- 9.The NO Ad-Hoc Routing Agent (NOAH) website, http://icapeople.epfl.ch/widmer/uwb/ns-2/noah/.