Approach to stress tests in SIP environment based on marginal analysis
In the field of performance metrics and measurements of SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) Proxy and B2BUA (Back-to-Back User Agent) no standardized methodology has been presented yet. This gap results in a problematic determination of a hardware, the performance of which would be cost-effective and sufficient for the running the SIP Server in a given environment. Today practice relies on the administrator’s skills and experience with the needs of the telephony infrastructure. From this and the increasing usage of SIP based VoIP technologies come the main reasons for creating a methodology that would allow administrators to precisely measure the SIP Server performance and compare it to other software and hardware platform. This work also utilizes SIP Server performance measurements to comparison the results taken when transcoding was in use and when it was not and provides the means for comparison of B2BUAs platform independently.
KeywordsAsterisk B2BUA Opensips SIP benchmarking SIP proxy SIP test algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Malas, D., & Morton, A. Basic telephony SIP end-to-end performance metric. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pmol-sip-perf-metrics-07. Last accessed 29.9. 2010.
- 2.Poretsky, S., Gurbani, V., & Davids, C. Terminology for benchmarking session initiation protocol (SIP) networking devices. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-term-02. Last accessed 29.9. 2010.
- 3.Poretsky, S., Gurbani, V., & Davids, C. Methodology for benchmarking SIP networking devices. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-meth-02. Last accessed 30.9. 2010.
- 4.Transnexus. Performance test of Asterisk V1.4 as a back to back user agent (B2BUA). http://www.transnexus.com/White%20Papers/Performance_Test_of_Asterisk_v1-4.htm. Last accessed 9.10. 2010.
- 5.Transnexus. Performance results for OpenSER and SIP express router. http://www.transnexus.com/White%20Papers/OpenSER-SER_Comparison.htm. Last accessed 9.10. 2010.
- 6.SIPp—performance testing tool for SIP protocol. http://sipp.sourceforge.net/. Last accessed 11.10. 2010.
- 7.IMS Bench SIPp—IMS/NGN performance benchmark. http://sipp.sourceforge.net/ims_bench_sipp/index.html. Last accessed 11.10. 2010.
- 8.Digium. Asterisk—The open source telephony project. http://www.asterisk.org/. Last accessed 12.10. 2010.
- 9.Opensips. http://www.opensips.org/. Accessed 11 October 2010.
- 10.Pravda, M., & Kocur, Z. (2009). Time synchronization through network time protocol and improvement of its accuracy. In The 32nd international conference on telecommunications and signal processing (pp. 182–186). 26–27 August 2009, Dunakiliti, Hungary. Google Scholar
- 11.Baronak, I., & Halas, M. (2007). Mathematical representation of VoIP connection delay. Radioengineering, 16(3), 77–85. Google Scholar
- 12.Meggelen, J., Smith, J., & Madsen, L. (2007). Asterisk: the future of telephony. Sebastopol: O’Reilly. Google Scholar
- 13.Chochelinski, R., & Baronak, I. (2009). Private telecommunication network based on NGN. In The 32nd international conference on telecommunications and signal processing (pp. 162–167). 26–27 August 2009, Dunakiliti, Hungary. Google Scholar
- 14.Voznak, M., & Rozhon, J. (2010). SIP back to back user benchmarking. In IEEE Computer Society: ICWMC 2010 (pp. 92–96). University of Valencia, 20–25 September 2010, Valencia. Google Scholar
- 15.Voznak, M., & Rozhon, J. (2010). SIP infrastructure performance testing. In Proceedings of the 9th international conference on telecommunications and informatics (pp. 153–158). 29–31 May 2010, Catania, Italy. Google Scholar
- 16.Voznak, M., & Rozhon, J. (2010). Performance testing and benchmarking of B2BUA and SIP proxy. In The 33rd international conference on telecommunications and signal processing (pp. 497–503). 17–20 August 2010, Baden near Vienna. Google Scholar