Experiments on MIMO-OFDM system combined with adaptive beamforming based on IEEE 802.16e WMAN standard
- 243 Downloads
This paper presents field experiments on a Multi-Input Multi-Output (MIMO) system that combines Adaptive Beamforming (ABF) and Spatial Multiplexing (SM) procedures. The combination of SM signal processing with ABF is applied to WiBro, the South Korean Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) system that follows the IEEE 802.16e standard. The field experimental results show that ABF-MIMO OFDM system outperforms a simple MIMO OFDM system by 2 dB (1.5 dB) in the signal to noise ratio (SNR) for 16-QAM (64-QAM) under low correlated fading channel and 4 dB (2.5 dB) in the SNR for 16-QAM (64-QAM) under highly correlated fading channel, respectively, at the frame error rate (FER) of 1%. Details on the implementation of ABF-MIMO OFDM system is also presented in this paper. Through the system implementation and its field experimental results, we verify that the combination of MIMO OFDM system with ABF provides improved performance over a simple MIMO OFDM system in real propagation channel environment and, in particular, it is more effective in highly correlated fading channel.
KeywordsMIMO Adaptive beamforming (ABF) OFDM IEEE 802.16e WiBro
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hollanti, C., Lahtonen, J., Ranto, K., Vehkalahti, R., & Viterbo, E. (2008). On the algebraic structure of the Silver code. IEEE Inform. Theory Worksh., Porto, Portugal, May 2008. Google Scholar
- 3.Yao, H., & Wornell, G. W. (2003). Achieving the full MIMO diversity-multiplexing frontier with rotation-based space-time codes. In Proceed. Allerton conf. commun. control comp., Monticello, IL, Oct. 2003. Google Scholar
- 9.IEEE P802.16e/D12. Part 16: Air interface for fixed and mobile broadband wireless access systems. IEEE, Oct. 2005. Google Scholar
- 15.Bolcskei, H., Borgmann, M., & Paulraj, A. J. (2002). Performance of space-frequency coded broadband OFDM under real-world propagation conditions. In Proc. Eur. conf. signal process (pp. 413–416). Google Scholar
- 17.Haene, S., Perels, D., & Burg, A. (2008). A real-time 4-stream MIMO-OFDM transceiver: system design, FPGA implementation, and characterization. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 26(6). Google Scholar
- 18.Borkowski, D., Brühl, L., Degen, C., Keusgen, W., Alirezaei, G., Geschewski, F., Oikonomopoulos, C., & Rembold, B. (2006). SABA: a testbed for a real-time MIMO system. EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing 4, 1–15. Google Scholar
- 22.Lim, G. B., Cimini, L. J., & Greenstein, L. J. (2005). Analysis and results for H-MIMO—a hybrid of spatial multiplexing and adaptive beamforming. In IEEE MILCOM 2005 (vol. 2, pp. 1187–1192). Google Scholar
- 26.Wolniansky, P. W., Foschini, G. J., Golden, G. D., & Valenzuela, R. A. (1998). VBLAST: an architecture for realizing very high data rates over the rich-scattering wireless channel. In Proc. IEEE ISSSE’98, Pisa, Italy (pp. 295–300). Google Scholar
- 29.Rec. ITU-R M.1225 (1998). Guidelines for evaluation of radio Transmission Technologies for IMT-2000, ITU-R. Google Scholar