A performance analysis of HICCUPS—a steganographic system for WLAN
The paper presents an analysis of performance features of the HICCUPS (HIdden Communication system for CorrUPted networkS) including the efficiency and the cost of the system in WLANs (Wireless Local Area Networks). The analysis relies on the original CSMA/CA (Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Avoidance) 802.11 Markov chain-based model and proves that the HICCUPS is the efficient steganographic method with the reasonable cost.
KeywordsSteganography Network security Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11
- 1.Krätzer, C., Dittmann, J., Lang, A., & Kühne, T. (2006). WLAN steganography: a first practical review. In Proc. of 8th ACM Multimedia and Security Workshop, Geneve (Switzerland), 26–27 September 2006. Google Scholar
- 3.Szczypiorski, K., & Lubacz, J. (2007). Performance evaluation of IEEE 802.11 DCF networks. In L. Mason, T. Drwiega, & J. Yan (Eds.), Lecture notes in computer science (LNCS) : Vol. 4516. Managing traffic performance in converged networks (pp. 1084–1095). Proc. of 20th international teletraffic congress—ITC-20, Ottawa, Canada, 17–21 June 2007. Berlin: Springer. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Szczypiorski, K., & Lubacz, J. (2007). Saturation throughput analysis of IEEE 802.11g (ERP-OFDM) networks. In R. Bestak, B. Simak, & E. Kozlowska (Eds.), IFIP : Vol. 245. Personal wireless communications (pp. 196–205). Proc. of 12th IFIP international conference on personal wireless communications—PWC’07, Prague, Czech Republic, 12–14 September 2007. Boston: Springer. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Szczypiorski, K. (2004). HICCUPS: hidden communication system for corrupted networks. In Proc. the tenth international multi-conference on advanced computer systems. ACS’2003, Międzyzdroje, 22–24 October 2004 (pp. 31–40). Google Scholar
- 7.Szczypiorski, K. (2006). Steganography in wireless local area networks. PhD thesis, Warsaw, September 2006, Warsaw University of Technology (in Polish). Google Scholar