It is generally recognized that the current routing scheme of Internet suffers from serious scalability problems. In this paper, we work with the abstract but ‘Internet-like’ network model consisting of an infinite-variance power-law random graph (IVPLRG). We adopt the idea of a routing scheme proposed by Carmi, Cohen and Dolev (C-C-D). The scheme fits very naturally to the spontaneously emerging ‘soft hierarchy’ architecture on an IVPLRG. The use of multiple addresses is suggested as a solution to the inflexibility of the pure C-C-D scheme. A mean-field approximation is introduced for efficient computation of relevant quantitative characteristics and applied to various problems of our scheme. We review a few recent Internet routing proposals and discuss their relation to our scheme. We find out that the topology creation of our scheme offers advantages in terms of scalability and routing policy control.
KeywordsLocator-identifier separation Compact routing Power-law Random graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brady, A., & Cowen, L. (2006). Compact routing on power-law graphs with additive stretch. In ALENEX. Google Scholar
- 5.Farinacci, D., Fuller, V., & Meyer, D. (2009). Locator/ID separation protocol (LISP). http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lisp-04. Internet Draft, September 16, 2009.
- 6.Farinacci, D., Fuller, V., Meyer, D., & Lewis, D. (2009). LISP alternative topology (LISP + ALT). draft-ietf-lisp-alt-05.txt. Internet Draft, February 24, 2009.
- 7.Godfrey, P., Ganichev, I., Shenker, S., & Stoica, I. (2009). Pathlet routing. In SIGCOMM’09, Barcelona, Spain, August 2009. Google Scholar
- 8.Janson, S., Łuczak, T., & Norros, I. (2009, submitted). Large cliques in a power-law random graph. arXiv:0905.0561.
- 9.Krioukov, D., Fall, K., & Yang, X. (2004). Compact routing on Internet-like graphs. In Infocom. doi:10.1109/INFCOM.2004.1354495.
- 11.Norros, I. (2009). Powernet: compact routing on Internet-like random networks. In NGI 2009, Aveiro, July 2009. Google Scholar
- 15.Reittu, H., & Norros, I. (2002). On the effect of very large nodes in Internet graphs. In Proc. GLOBECOM, Taipei, Taiwan. Google Scholar