Thermodynamics from the differential geometry standpoint
- 268 Downloads
We study the differential-geometric structure of the space of thermodynamic states in equilibrium thermodynamics. We demonstrate that this space is a foliation of codimension two and find variables in which the foliation fibers are flat. We show that we can introduce a symplectic structure on this space: the external derivative of the 1-form of the heat source, which has the form of the skew-symmetric product dT 蝃 dS in the found variables. The entropy S then plays the role of the Lagrange function (or Hamiltonian) in mechanics, completely determining the thermodynamic system.
Keywordssymplectic structure space of states dynamical principle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.M. Born, Phys. Z, 22, 218–224, 249–254, 282–286 (1921).Google Scholar
- 3.V. V. Kozlov, Heat Equilibrium by Gibbs and Poincaré [in Russian], RKhD, Moscow (2002).Google Scholar
- 4.V. V. Kozlov, Mosc. Univ. Mech. Bull., 55, No. 2, 11–16 (2000).Google Scholar
- 7.F. A. Berezin, Lectures on Statistical Physics [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (2007); English transl., World Scientific, Singapore (2007).Google Scholar
- 8.V. Sergeev, The Limits of Rationality [in Russian], Phasis, Moscow (1999).Google Scholar