Description of a new species of Eimeria Schneider, 1875 (Apicomplexa: Eimeriidae) from the western Derby eland Taurotragus derbianus derbianus Gray (Artiodactyla: Bovidae) in Senegal
Examination of faecal samples from semi-captive western Derby elands Taurotragus derbianus derbianus Gray, in the Bandia and Fathala Reserves of Senegal, revealed the presence of oöcysts of the genus Eimeria Schneider, 1875 that we considered to represent a new species, Eimeria derbiani n. sp. The new species possesses nearly ellipsoidal oöcysts (length/width ratio 1.3) with a bi-layered wall and an average size of 27.6 × 21.5 μm. E. derbiani possesses a micropyle covered by a micropylar cap and ovoidal, single-layered sporocysts with an average size of 14.9 × 7.7 μm, each with a Stieda body. Sporozoites of E. derbiani possess a large refractile body and a nucleus. Sporulation lasted for 2 days at 23°C. The new species is differentiated from the two species parasitising Taurotragus oryx Pallas, E. canna Triffitt, 1924 and E. triffittae Yakimoff, 1934.
I am grateful to Ivan Pavlásek (State Veterinary Institute Prague) for his valuable comments, suggestions and help in preparing this project. Thanks are due to the leadership of the State Veterinary Institute Prague for providing laboratory equipment and to all colleagues from the Pathology and Parasitology Department for their support. I also thank Aneta Kostadinova for corrections to this manuscript, Miloslav Jirků (Institute of Parasitology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic) for advice, the Institute of Tropics and Subtropics (Czech University of Life Sciences) and all members of the expedition. Finally, I thank Georges Rezk, Christian Dering, Vincent Dethier and the staff of Bandia and Fathala Reserve for their cooperation and permission to work in the field.
- Breza, M. (1957). Some practical knowledge and suggestions for helminthcoprological diagnostics. Helminthology, 1, 57–63.Google Scholar
- IUCN (2011). IUCN SSC Antelope Specialist Group (2008). Tragelaphus derbianus ssp. derbianus. In: IUCN red list of threatened species. Version 2011.2. http://www.iucnredlist.org/.
- Levine, N. D. (1985). Veterinary protozoology. Ames, Iowa: Iowa State University Press, 414 pp.Google Scholar
- Levine, N. D., & Ivens, V. (1970). The coccidian parasites (Protozoa, Sporozoa) of ruminants. (Illinois Biological Monographs, 44.) Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 279 pp.Google Scholar
- Pellérdy, L. P. (1974). Coccidia and coccidiosis. Budapest: Akademiai Kiado, 959 pp.Google Scholar
- Triffitt, M. J. (1924). Note on an Eimeria n. sp. found in the faeces of an eland. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 27, 223–225.Google Scholar