Huffmanela lata n. sp. (Nematoda: Trichosomoididae: Huffmanelinae) from the shark Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos (Elasmobranchii: Carcharhinidae) off New Caledonia
- 66 Downloads
Huffmanela lata n. sp. is described from eggs only, which were found in a small black spot on the skin near the gill opening of a shark, Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos, caught off Nouméa, New Caledonia, South-West Pacific. The eggs are 77–88 (mean 84) μm in length and 52–63 (mean 57) μm in width, with a thick (6–8 μm) shell, apparently spinose. Mobile larvae, 200–250 μm in length, were visible in the eggs. The species is distinguished from other members of the genus by the dimensions and shape of its eggs, which are the broadest ever reported. This is the second species of Huffmanela described from a shark, after H. carcharhini (MacCallum, 1925), to which it appears closely related in terms of its site in the skin and the nature of the egg surface.
KeywordsBlack Spot Gill Opening Small Black Spot Mobile Larva Carcharhinus Amblyrhynchos
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Huffman, D.G., Moravec, F. 1988First description of adult Huffmanela huffmani Moravec, 1987 (Nematoda: Trichosomoididae) from the swimbladder of centrarchid fishes of the upper San Marcos River, central TexasFolia Parasitologica35227234Google Scholar
- Justine, J.-L. 2004Three new species of Huffmanela Moravec, 1987 (Nematoda, Trichosomoididae) from the gills of marine fish off New CaledoniaSystematic Parasitology592937Google Scholar
- Laboute, P., Grandperrin, R. 2000Poissons de Nouvelle-Calédonie.Éditions Catherine LedruNouméa, New Caledonia520Google Scholar
- Moravec, F. 2001Trichinelloid nematodes parasitic in cold-blooded vertebratesAcademiaPrague432Google Scholar
- Moravec, F., Conboy, G.A. & Speare, D.J. (2005) Huffmanela canadensis n. sp. (Nematoda: Trichosomoididae) from the skin of Sebastes spp. (Pisces) from British Columbia, Canada. Journal of Parasitology, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Moravec, F., Garibaldi, F. 2000Huffmanela paronai sp. n. (Nematoda: Trichosomoididae), a new parasite from the skin of swordfish Xiphias gladius in the Ligurian Sea (Western Mediterranean)Folia Parasitologica47309313Google Scholar
- Moravec, F., Koudela, B., Ogawa, K., Nagasawa, K. 1998Two new Huffmanela species, H. japonica n. sp. and H. shikokuensis n. sp. (Nematoda: Trichosomoididae), from marine fishes in JapanJournal of Parasitology84589593Google Scholar