Reflections on new thinking about scientific realism
- First Online:
- 37 Downloads
In August 2014 the Universities of Pretoria and Johannesburg hosted a major international conference in Cape Town, ‘New Thinking about Scientific Realism’, to assess extant discussions of the view in hopes of opening up new avenues of research, and to sow the seeds of further development and consideration of these prospective lines of inquiry. In this, the concluding essay of the Special Issue collecting some of the descendants of these earlier presentations, I extract some of the more striking themes to emerge with the aim of reflecting on their novelty and their promise for the future study of scientific realism.
KeywordsScientific realism Selective realism Pessimistic induction Mathematical realism Scientific representation Axiological realism Approximate truth Epistemic stances
- Alai, M. (2016). Resisting the historical objections to realism: Is Doppelt’s a viable solution? Synthese, 1–24. doi:10.1007/s11229-016-1087-z.
- Berenstain, N. (2016). The applicability of mathematics to physical modality. Synthese, 1–17. doi:10.1007/s11229-016-1067-3.
- Forbes, C. (2016). A pragmatic, existentialist approach to the scientific realism debate. Synthese, 1–20. doi:10.1007/s11229-016-1015-2.
- French, S. (2015). (Structural) realism and its representational vehicles. Synthese, 1–16. doi:10.1007/s11229-015-0879-x.
- Leconte, G. (2017). Predictive success, partial truth and Duhemian realism. Synthese, 1–21. doi:10.1007/s11229-016-1305-8.
- Lyons, T. D. (2016). Epistemic selectivity, historical threats, and the non-epistemic tenets of scientific realism. Synthese, 1–17. doi:10.1007/s11229-016-1103-3.
- Niiniluoto, I. (2015). Optimistic realism about scientific progress. Synthese, 1–19. doi:10.1007/s11229-015-0974-z.
- Saatsi, J. (2015). Replacing recipe realism. Synthese, 1–12. doi:10.1007/s11229-015-0962-3.
- Spurrett, D. (2015). Physicalism as an empirical hypothesis. Synthese, 1–14. doi:10.1007/s11229-015-0986-8.
- Vickers, P. (2016). Understanding the selective realist defence against the PMI. Synthese, 1–12. doi:10.1007/s11229-016-1082-4.