Fiber bundles, Yang–Mills theory, and general relativity
- 193 Downloads
I articulate and discuss a geometrical interpretation of Yang–Mills theory. Analogies and disanalogies between Yang–Mills theory and general relativity are also considered.
KeywordsYang–Mills theory General relativity Fiber bundle interpretation Holonomy interpretation
- Barrett, T. (2014). On the structure of classical mechanics. The British Journal of Philosophy of Science. doi:10.1093/bjps/axu005.
- Bleecker, D. (1981). Gauge theory and variational principles. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley. (Reprinted by Dover Publications in 2005).Google Scholar
- Earman, J. (1995). Bangs, crunches, whimpers, and shrieks. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Feintzeig, B., & Weatherall, J. O. (2014). The geometry of the ‘gauge argument’, unpublished manuscript.Google Scholar
- Friedman, M. (1983). Foundations of space-time theories. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Geroch, R. (1996). Partial differential equations of physics. In G. S. Hall & J. R. Pulham (Eds.), General relativity: Proceedings of the forty sixth Scottish Universities summer school in physics (pp. 19–60). Edinburgh: SUSSP Publications.Google Scholar
- Kobayashi, S., & Nomizu, K. (1963). Foundations of differential geometry (Vol. 1). New York: Interscience Publishers.Google Scholar
- Maudlin, T. (2007). The metaphysics within physics (pp. 78–103, Ch. 3). New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Michor, P. (2009). Topics in differential geometry. Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society.Google Scholar
- Palais, R. S. (1981). The geometrization of physics. Institute of Mathematics, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan, accessed from http://vmm.math.uci.edu/.
- Rosenstock, S., & Weatherall, J. O. (2015a). A categorical equivalence between generalized holonomy maps on a connected manifold and principal connections on bundles over that manifold. arXiv:1504.02401 [math-ph].
- Rosenstock, S., & Weatherall, J. O. (2015b). On holonomy and fiber bundle interpretations of Yang–Mills theory, unpublished manuscript.Google Scholar
- Swanson, N., & Halvorson, H. (2012). On North’s ‘the structure of physics’. http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/9314/.
- Trautman, A. (1965). Foundations and current problem of general relativity. In S. Deser & K. W. Ford (Eds.), Lectures on general relativity (pp. 1–248). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Trautman, A. (1980). Fiber bundles, gauge fields, and gravitation. In A. Held (Ed.), General relativity and gravitation (pp. 287–308). New York: Plenum Press.Google Scholar
- Weatherall, J. O. (2015). Regarding the ‘Hole Argument’. The British Journal for Philosophy of Science (Forthcoming). arXiv:1412.0303.
© Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2015