Prior on an insolubilium of Jean Buridan
We present Prior’s discussion of a puzzle about valditity found in the writings of the fourteenth-century French logician Jean Buridan and show how Prior’s study of this puzzle may have provided the conceptual inspiration for his development of hybrid logic.
KeywordsArthur Prior Hybrid logic Insolubilia Jean Buridan
- Buridan, J. (1966). Sophisms on meaning and truth (T.K. Scott, Trans.) New York: Appleton-Century-CroftsGoogle Scholar
- Cresswell M. J. (1985) Structural meanings: The semantics of propositional attitudes. MIT Press, Cambridge, MAGoogle Scholar
- Nuchelmans G. (1973) Theories of the proposition: Ancient and medieval conceptions of the bearers of truth and falsity. North-Holland Publishing Co, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Prior A. N. (1968) Papers on time and tense. Clarendon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Uckelman, S. L. (2011). Arthur Prior and medieval logic. Synthese. doi:10.1007/s11229-011-9943-3.