On a Sufficient Condition for Equality of Two Maximal Monotone Operators
- First Online:
- 99 Downloads
We establish minimal conditions under which two maximal monotone operators coincide. Our first result is inspired by an analogous result for subdifferentials of convex functions. In particular, we prove that two maximal monotone operators T,S which share the same convex-like domain D coincide whenever \(T(x)\cap S(x)\not=\emptyset \) for every x ∈ D. We extend our result to the setting of enlargements of maximal monotone operators. More precisely, we prove that two operators coincide as long as the enlargements have nonempty intersection at each point of their common domain, assumed to be open. We then use this to obtain new facts for convex functions: we show that the difference of two proper lower semicontinuous and convex functions whose subdifferentials have a common open domain is constant if and only if their ε-subdifferentials intersect at every point of that domain.
KeywordsMaximal monotone operators Subdifferential Convex functions Enlargements ε-subdifferential
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Burachik, R.S., Iusem, A.N.: Set Valued Mappings and Enlargements of Monotone Operators. Springer Optimization and Its Applications, vol. 8. Springer, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Burachik, R.S., Sagastizábal, C.A., Svaiter, B.F.: ε-enlargements of maximal monotone operators: theory and applications. In: Fukushima, M., Qi, L. (eds.) Reformulation - Nonsmooth, Piecewise Smooth, Semismooth and Smoothing Methods, pp. 25–43. Kluwer, Dordrecht (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Burachik, R.S., Sagastizábal, C.A., Svaiter, B.F.: Bundle methods for maximal monotone operators. In: Tichatschke, R., Théra, M. (eds.) Ill–posed Variational Problems and Regularization Techniques, pp. 49–64. Springer, Berlin (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Fitzpatrick, S.: Representing monotone operators by convex functions. In: Functional Analysis and Optimization, Workshop and Miniconference, pp. 59–65. Canberra, Australia (1988) Proc. Center Math. Anal. Australian Nat. Univ., vol. 20 (1988)Google Scholar
- 11.Kocourek, P.: An elementary new proof of the determination of a convex function by its subdifferential. Optimization. doi:10.1080/02331930903086803
- 14.Phelps, R.R.: Convex functions, monotone operators and differentiability. Lecture Notes in Math., 2nd edn., vol. 1364. Springer (1993)Google Scholar
- 15.Simons, S.: From Hahn–Banach to monotonicity. Lecture Notes in Math., 2nd edn., vol. 1693. Springer (2008)Google Scholar