Second Order Cones for Maximal Monotone Operators via Representative Functions
- 68 Downloads
It is shown that various first and second order derivatives of the Fitzpatrick and Penot representative functions for a maximal monotone operator T, in a reflexive Banach space, can be used to represent differential information associated with the tangent and normal cones to the Graph T. In particular we obtain formula for the proto-derivative, as well as its polar, the normal cone to the graph of T. First order derivatives are shown to be useful in recognising points of single-valuedness of T. We show that a strong form of proto-differentiability to the graph of T, is often associated with single valuedness of T.
KeywordsSecond order cones Maximal monotone operators Proto-differentiability
Mathematics Subject Classifications (2000)47H05 46N10 47H04 46A20 49J53
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Attouch, H., Wets, R.J.-B.: A convergence for bivariate functions aimed at the convergence of saddle values. In: Cecconi, J.P., Zolezzi, T. (eds.) Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Mathematical Theories of Optimization, vol. 979, pp. 1–42 (1983)Google Scholar
- 2.Beer, G.: Topologies on Closed and Closed Convex Sets. Mathematics and its Applications, vol. 268. Kluwer Acad. Publ. (1993)Google Scholar
- 5.Fitzpatrick, S.: Representing monotone operators by convex functions. Workshop/Miniconfe rence on Functional Analysis and Optimization (Camberra 1988), Proceedings Center Math. Anal. Austral. Nat. Univ., 20 Austral. Nat Univ. Canberra, pp. 59–65 (1988)Google Scholar
- 7.Holmes, R.B.: Geometric Functional Analysis and its Applications. Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 24. Springer-Verlag (1975)Google Scholar
- 10.Mordukhovich, B.S.: Variational Analysis and Generalized Differentiation, I: Basic Theory, II: Applications. Comprehensive Studies in Mathematics, vols. 330, 331. Springer (2005)Google Scholar
- 18.Phelps, R.R.: Convex Functions Montone Operators and Differentiability. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, no. 1364. Springer-Verlag (1993)Google Scholar