Optimizing the parameters of the Lustre-file-system-based HPC system for reverse time migration
- 26 Downloads
The article is dedicated to optimizing the computing cluster performance and throughput of the storage with the Lustre file system to perform the reverse time migration task. Optimization is needed because increasing the number of processor cores at first helps to speed up the calculation process, but at some point the calculations start to take more time despite adding more cores with the same storage throughput. This behaviour is caused by the fact that performance gain achieved through parallel operation is offset by increasing delays in the storage that grow nonlinearly as the load increases. To take into account the particularities of this case study, the specific task complexity notion that defines the number of floating point operations per input/output byte was used. This notion and the queuing theory fundamentals were applied to produce a simple formula that links the Lustre file system storage throughput, quantity of storage nodes and the cluster performance in the optimal configuration. LINPACK and SPC-2 benchmark results were used as initial data.
KeywordsHigh-performance computing Reverse time migration Disc array throughput Lustre file system Queuing model Specific task complexity
Funding was provided by MPEI.
- 8.Akanksha SK, Kumar GN et al (2016) Parallelization of reverse time migration using MPI + OpenMP. In: The 2016 International Conference on Advanced Communication Control and Computing Technologies (ICACCCT 2016). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICACCCT.2016.7831729
- 14.Lustre Software Release 2.X. http://doc.lustre.org/lustre_manual.pdf
- 15.McDade M (2009) Sun C48 & Lustre fast for seismic RTM using Sun X6275. Oracle Blogs. https://blogs.oracle.com/bestperf/sun-c48-lustre-fast-for-seismic-reverse-time-migration-using-sun-x6275
- 18.Kleinrok L (1975) Queuing systems. Theory, vol 1. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 19.Librecht A (2010) Queueing network models of zoned RAID systems performance. Dissertation. Imperial College London. http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~wjk/publications/lebrecht-2010.pdf
- 20.SPC Benchmark 2™. Fujitsu storage systems ETERNUS DX200S3 storage array. http://spcresults.org/sites/default/files/results/B00071/b00071_Fujitsu_DX200-S3_SPC-2_full-disclosure-report.pdf
- 21.SPC Benchmark 2™. Fujitsu storage systems ETERNUS DX8900 S3 storage array. http://spcresults.org/sites/default/files/results/B00079/b00079_Fujitsu_DX8900-S3_SPC-2_full-disclosure-report.pdf
- 22.Mills RT, Sripathi V, Mahinthakumar G et al (2010) Engineering PFLOTRAN for scalable performance on Cray XT and IBM BlueGene architecture. Argonne National Laboratory. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51991760_Engineering_PFLOTRAN_for_scalable_performance_on_Cray_XT_and_IBM_BlueGene_architectures